Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Where is the best place to holiday?

MikeRC 16 3.6k United Kingdom
14 Jun 2005 1:26PM
Any one any views on the best holiday destination with the most important consideration being the photographing of colourfull birds?
The weather would obviously have to be good not tropical, in.. say October, there would need to be sunbathing facilities for my wife and if I was spending 10 hours or more in an aeroplane there would have to be some guarantee of plenty of good pictures.
..Oh, and I wouldn't want to get shot.

Regards...Mike
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
14 Jun 2005 1:33PM
the Hawaiian Islands? 295 different species to find.

Quote:Oh, and I wouldn't want to get shot.

Well that rules out Skegness ;o)
14 Jun 2005 1:41PM
My favourite destination has always been Dubai, its fabulous. And they have just a few birds
NickdeBug 16 391
14 Jun 2005 6:21PM
I would recommend Cape Town and the Western Cape Province in South Africa.

Fantastic birdlife (including the famous cape penguins), the flight wouldn't be too long and no jet lag (1hour time difference). The Garden Route is amazing, especially for the wine fan. Table mountain is pretty spectacular for a few landscape shots.

October is a nice month - temps not too warm (about mid 20's), and fairly low humidity. Nice maritime climate.

I used to work for Zimbabwean National Parks Ornithological Research Unit, and we had good links with colleagues in the Cape. If that's what you like to do, you will find plenty of people happy to guide you about and point out the local species. Of course, some of them are so colourful you don't actually need them pointed out!

If you see any Black Storks (Ciconia nigra), say 'hi' from me - as I once spent 12 weeks studying the buggers and they migrate to the Cape at about that time of year.

Have fun where ever you get to - very envious - my holidays usually involve a spade and an unkept garden. I get my travel fix through work - no fun at all!
15 Jun 2005 9:30AM
Boyd...>>Well that rules out Skegness
15 Jun 2005 9:39AM
Boyd..Hawaii sound excellent but it might be outside my budget, seems very expensive.
Have you been? Where do you fly to from Manchester?
would seeing many of these 295 birds be guaranteed?
I will look into it further.
...regards..Mike

PS..I cannot get used to this forum setup.Sorry for any mistakes.
15 Jun 2005 9:47AM
K..Thanks for your response..Dubai sounds more reasonable.
I know my wife would love it.
Is it certtain I would see and photograph many different species of birds?
When is the best time to go?

...Regards...Mike
Boyd 18 11.2k 11 Wales
15 Jun 2005 9:56AM
I went to Hawaii four years ago. Flew from Heathrow to LAX then on to Hawaii. Spent three weeks there but I'm afraid to say I wasn't really looking for birds, although there was one place where they flew onto your hands and shoulders. Apparently a lot of them have little fear of humans (and me).
15 Jun 2005 10:00AM
Nick..thanks for your response but you must have missed that bit about not being shot,
I meant it (grin)
My names not Bob..I am not going anywhere near Zimbabwe.
But it certainly sounds like you have an interesting job.
It's better to get shot than die of boredom.

and If you need any help with the garden, just ask..(grin)

...Mike
georg 16 4 South Africa
15 Jun 2005 1:01PM
Definately Cape Town in South Africa. The exchange rate is very favourable if you come with pounds. About R11 to R12 (rand) to the pounds. Also a direct flight from Heathrow to Cape Town with either BA or SAA. Cape Town is absolutely the fairest cape in the world. Fantastic scenery, wine routes, beautiful mountains and coastline. Dangerous?? Just like any other place in the world. But definately safer than Chicago or new York!! Come and visit.
Regards
Georg from Cape Town
exclusive 16 579 United Kingdom
15 Jun 2005 1:06PM
Cape Town is amazing, not only Birds to take photos of. the record is over 250 different species spooted in one day and identified. also the view from Blowberg Strand is the best of Cape Town, great restaurantes.

don't forget if you do go up table mountain take a jumper it is a mountain. also a few days exploring Hout Bay and Noorhoek are amazing landscapes and uncrowded.

also if you look around you can get shot at, i saw a guy guarding a shop with a shotgun shame no camera at the time.
darrinj 17 250 United Arab Emirates
15 Jun 2005 1:15PM
You could point a phone camera in Madagascar and get great shots. Haven't been yet but have been researching it for a few years and will go later this year. From everything I have read and heard spectacular. Somewhere I have been is the Amazon in Equador and that is truly amazing for bird life - very highly recommended.
19 Jun 2005 2:05PM
Thanks all, Cape town seems a popular choice and I will give it a deal of thought.

many thanks...Mike
johnjrp 17 432 5 Australia
19 Jun 2005 7:41PM
Perth in Western Australia. We have quite a lot of different birds and the weather then is 10/10. John
steve neil 17 597 Australia
19 Jun 2005 8:35PM
edit - Oz is pretty cool too Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.