Where's the best online site to do canvas printing?

messhai 16 8 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2005 9:27AM
Hiho..

Wanting to print out on canvas in time for end January (should be enough time). At the moment I'm thinking of doing a 40inch x 40inch print. I've seen several sites all with different prices.

Some claim theirs are better because they have wedges in the frames so that I could easily tighten the canvas again should it slacken.

Anyway, any chance anybody knows of a site that does a really good printing at a reasonable price? Have you tried it yourself personally? Is the canvas good quality?

Thanks..

Ade Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

debbiehardy 16 363 United Kingdom
4 Dec 2005 12:17PM
Just got two from Photobloc

16 x 12 canvas 45 free trackable delivery.

I'm really pleased with them.

Debbie
redbulluk 17 218 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2005 1:18AM
Dig Pics look good.

I ordered from them about 6 months ago, and was very pleased with the results. Their prices have gone up a bit since then, but aparently, they've got a new printer (and they still seem the cheapest around)
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2005 1:49AM
Have you looked at Gaskin Images , who sponsor the POTW here?

Ian
stephenw 14 4
20 Feb 2006 5:27AM
Hi, I think it might be worth explaining the print that is available on the stretched canvas market. I am a director at link removed - please contact epz if you wish to advertiseand have been in this industry for many years. Most people on the internet and in the adverts in magazines are selling an inkjet print. This style of printing sits on top of a primed vinyl/paper canvas which will need to be protected or sealed which usually means that it is shiny and will still crack with movement over time. I would strongly recommend people look at the other printing style, dye sublimation, this is fused into a real woven canvas fabric which is so durable without any protection it can go in the washing machine!!! It is not shiny and will never crack or damage. The colours are vibrant, strong and is now true photographic quality. I would recommend that you ask to see a sample of both print techniques before spending your money. There only a few people in the country with our technology so please be careful not to be sold a print that does not come up to standard.
AnneH 14 14
22 Feb 2006 1:37PM
Hi All,

I need to speak to the points raised by StephenW with regard to the quality issues surrounding inkjet printing.

Inkjet is not a poor relation of the dye sub printer and we need to remember that. Both inkjet and dye sub have a place in the large format printing industry depending on your requirement. Dye sub is a popular choice for bags, curtains, blinds, carpet tiles, doors, etc for obvious reasons.

Giclee canvas prints (inkjet) if done to the correct standards see the Fine Art Trade Guild website will last a very long time. Epson make lightfastness claims in excess of 75 years. Using the right type of materials, you can achieve crisp and vibrant colours that will enhace your photographic prints. Seals will not crack or fade. Period!. You would not expect to put your canvas print in the washing machine so it beats me why this statement is used as a measure of testing.

The printing is only one part of the process, the finishing is the other. If canvas prints are done to the correct standards, it really does not matter if they originated as inkjet or dye sub.

I hope this helps to eliminate the confusion that people might feel when having to decide between the two types of printing techniques. My personal opinion, it's a poor show if a company feels the need to denigrate the techniques of another in order to promote itself.

I hope that by being here (I have TJ's permission by the way), I can make some credible and useful contribution to the canvas printing discussions. I run the risk of contributing to a battle of words between the canvas printing companies, I appreciate this, but need to reiterate my reason is first and foremost as an 'expert' contributor to the forum.

Steve is correct on one thing, it is a good idea to ask for a print sample but also a good idea to ask the right questions. The Fine Art Trade Guild has guidelines on this.

Anne Herbert

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.