Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Where to find 10D Samples.

justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
13 Feb 2004 11:11PM
Bob,
Thanks for that info,I am indeed looking for some high res 10D wildlife images to view.I'm a big fan of Andy Rouse,so I'll check those images out.

Carabosse,
No I'm not using a Hasselblad nor have I ever shot an image with a digital camera.
I am currently,and have been for aprox. the last 4-5 years using a Canon EOS 5 with a Canon 100-400mmL I.S. lens and a Tamron 90mm Macro lens.
I am certainly not doubting the quality of Canon lenses,and I've no idea what gives you that impression.I have been using the 100-400mm lens on a regular basis for the last few years,so I know exactly what the quality of Canon glass is capable of,and I'd question my technique (which I regualy do) long before I question the capability of a Canon lens.
I have spent a couple of hours this afternoon reading the 10D review on the DPReview website.I also viewed the high resolution images in the 10D samples gallery.I also downloaded one of them (the close-up portrait of the chinese lady)and I thought the quality was absolutely OUTSTANDING.
I agree that viewing a small JPEG on the screen is not a very good indication of quality at all,which is why I would like to look at some high resolution RAW or Tiff images (preferably natural history subjects,as this is indeed where my interest lies)I would also like to print one out,to see what the printed image looks like.
I am not questioning the quality or the cameras capabilities or the reviews I've read or indeed other peoples opinions.I would just like to see what results the camera is capable of,with my own eyes, before I spend 1500+++ on switching to digital,(which as an amateur photographer,and a fairly novice one at that,is a considerable investment for me).
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
13 Feb 2004 11:16PM
Thanks for clarifying your concerns which seem to centre around the switch to digital.

I think you are right to want to print out something taken in TIFF or RAW but I don't think you'll find either of those on the net!

I'll let my fellow ePhotoziners prove me wrong on that! Wink
13 Feb 2004 11:23PM
[QUOTE}If it were a new camera, I could understand the prevarication, let's ckeck it out first. But it's got a well proven track record, good enough for the likes of Andy Rouse, I can't see what more Justin needs in the way of proof that it's a good camera. Given that this camera might not meet his exacting standards, what's the alternative? Fuji S2 or the Nixon? Both good cameras, perhaps he should try one of those. Which ever one, he'll have to make a decision sometime, bite the bullet, and shell out the cash.[Quote]

Just to emphasise what I said in my previous post,I do not question the cameras capabilities or the conclusion of the various reviews.I just simply want to see what the results look like,preferably when printed on photographic paper.
You wouldn't buy a new car because a stranger told you it was a good one,you would probably read up about it first and test drive it,to see if it was what you wanted.
This is the reason for my original post.
13 Feb 2004 11:33PM
Brian,
Thanks for that link,your help is much appreciated.
13 Feb 2004 11:34PM
I very much doubt many people on here have bought their cameras having looked at "full resolution lossless-compression" shots they have printed out. Not even the pros.

The most important thing is that you are happy handling the camera and feel you can be at one with it. For that there is no substitute for going into a shop and trying it out. If you are uncomfortable with the cam in any way you won't take such good pics.

All common sense really, but as regards results, so much depends on the type of pic, how it was taken (hand-held or tripod) the quality and quantity of light and a host of other factors. You would have to print out dozens or even hundreds of pics.

In fact you would need to borrow/hire the cam for a week and take identical shots with your current camera and the new one! Then do your own comparative review.

I, for one, am happy to be guided by reviewers - preferably a few rather than just one, of course.
13 Feb 2004 11:45PM
Carabosse,
Thanks for your input.
You raise some interesting points.
I guess another one of the reasons I am being rather cautious is the focusing issue,which may or may not be a major problem,but I'd like to be sure before I shell out the cash.
UserRemoved 17 4.2k
14 Feb 2004 12:53AM
Hi Justin,
My 2p worth.
I use a 10D. My livelihood depends on it.
I bought it 10th Oct last year. I shot my last roll of film on the 9th Oct! Wink

For the price I have not seen/used a better camera. (I use a D100 as well and it is comparable but I have Canon 35mm systems)

Cant really say fairer than that. I had been waiting for a digital camera within a certain budget and which met requirements which would enable me to go from part-time pro to full time pro.

My first session with the 10D blew me away. I bought a minolta 5400 elite scanner on the same day and its been used about 5 times!

Cant really say fairer than that.
shooter 19 105 Canada
14 Feb 2004 3:14AM
I have to wonder - why would the quality be any different when taking a nature shot as it was when taking a still life the day before, or a portrait the day before that? If the picture's different, it's not the camera that's changed. It's up to the photographer.
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
14 Feb 2004 9:40AM
"You wouldn't buy a new car because a stranger told you it was a good one,you would probably read up about it first and test drive it,to see if it was what you wanted.
This is the reason for my original post."

You bet I wouldn't. I'm an avid reader before I commit myself to anything, especially before spending 2,000. (I had no Canon lenses of any description) Like you, I'm a rank amateur, and that sort of money is a very serious amount for me too (and it hasn't stopped going up yet!) But there comes a point when you have to decide whether the camera is for you or not. If I were a salesman trying to flog you the camera, I'd be at a loss to know what more to say, what I could say or show you that would clinch the deal. :-( Hate to say it, but agreeing again with Caraboose here, try it, if it feels good, it it suits you, go for it.It's hardly a trip into the unknown! Wink As regards printing out at home, depends on your printer obviously, but not matter how good, I think the quality of professionally done prints will easily exceed what you are capable of achieving at home. Re the focusing "problem". What problem? Heard about it, but along with hundreds of thousands of others, never experienced it
Best of luck.
Frank
14 Feb 2004 9:49AM
Joe,
Thanks for sharing your views.Much appreciated.

Alan,
The quality would be no different whatsoever.I guess natural history images are what I'm used to looking at,and if there was a selection of samples available of different subject matter,then I would look at those first,as this is what I'm interested in photographing,and is my prefered choice of image.
davidbailie 17 457 7 United Kingdom
14 Feb 2004 10:35AM
Justin C Hi - Look at my portfolio Todays Photo (14th Feb)- 'The Mill' - Small as it is if that aint sharp enough nothing will be Smile- it's an excellent camera! - The 300D is an offshoot of the 10D without as many featuresand less money though you will get the same quality. (you probably know that)
14 Feb 2004 10:57AM
David,
Sure is a cracking shot,with great colour and detail.Impressive portfolio,also
I guess my minds made up,Now for the tricky part of finding one in stock.
Cheers
Justin
14 Feb 2004 11:25AM
Well, there you go! Some great little 500x375 pics viewed on-screen... and Justin is happy!!

Good luck with your purchase, JC, look forward to seeing your efforts. Smile
Terry L 17 609 5 England
14 Feb 2004 11:45AM
Justin, only just seen this thread, you have commented on quite a few of my shots and most of those, mainly wildlife were taken with a 10D and 100 - 400 is combination. There is plenty of detail in even these reduced images. I can assure you that you will not be disappointed.

Terry.
14 Feb 2004 11:54AM
Terry,
Thanks for your input.Much appreciated.
Cheers
Justin.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.