Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Where to learn?

curlyfilm 16 139
24 Jul 2016 9:41PM
I like printing, its what taking photos are for, they look so much better on paper!

I use a Canon pro-10, i calibrate using a Colourmunki, also i calibrate the Various papers too, My results are good! Well i think!

Anyway where do you learn more? Most of what i do is self taught, through trial and error, i find there is limited Info out there? Where can i find more? Like distant courses or books?

Thanks in advance!
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
24 Jul 2016 9:53PM
Youtube!
4k78l 4 278 1 New Caledonia
24 Jul 2016 10:10PM
What is your goal in printing the photos yourself, except the savings? Do you want to learn more about printing itself, or how to produce the best image file for printing - both?
For me it seems like you're looking for a good and calibrated screen, which is mandatory for consistent print quality, and it gives you confidence before you choose to print. If this is the case, buy the best panel(I recommend at least IPS) you can afford and choose a screen with a matt finish surface. High gloss finish surface, like MAC use, is a cheap way to make things look "better". It's just an illusion though, because all colors get over saturated and look unnatural, and you get the disadvantage of too much glare from light. In the beginning when I wanted to print my photos at school, the teacher always wanted to correct my colors of my final image file which I had done at home. They never printed out the way I wanted. When I told him to just print directly, they did turn out the way I wanted. I don't understand how such a brand can sell so well to photographers, graphic designers and so on which rely on their output as a living.
Personally I own a Dell U3014 with GB-LED backlighting and AH-IPS panel. Sadly, I bought the wrong calibrator(Datacolor Spyder4 Pro) for GB-LED when I purchased the screen, so I will save up for the X-Rite i1Display Pro, and even have to download a Plugin as a workaround for the GB-LED, but I'll get there some day.
I love my screen, I just want it right Smile
25 Jul 2016 12:19PM
You could do a City and Guilds course - your local Higher Education College will be able to point you in the right direction, or perhaps try a local newspaper who may be able to give you some pointers on getting on a course. I would guess that most Print courses will include all aspects - not just photography.
lemmy 14 2.9k United Kingdom
25 Jul 2016 12:40PM
If there is a professional printing lab near where you are, I'd enquire whether any of the printers there would be prepared to give you some tuition. I was taught printing before I started my main training as a photographer and I'm convinced that the reason I found it so easy was the one to one tuition from the eight staff photographers.

I now realize that the reason they were so keen that I should learn fast was that it meant I got to do all the photo orders and their printing too! Meaning they got more time in The Huntsman opposite. Such was an apprenticeship Grin
thewilliam 12 6.1k
25 Jul 2016 1:15PM
These days, many of the people who set up training have precious little knowledge or skill themselves. Such people can lead us seriously astray!

Maybe it's best to do a workshop organised by a blue-chip organisation like the RPS, a reputable dealer like Calumet or a recognised trainer.
Philh04 Plus
15 2.3k United Kingdom
25 Jul 2016 5:01PM
You don't say where you are based, as said above look at the Calumet Academy...

Phil
curlyfilm 16 139
25 Jul 2016 11:11PM
Thanks all! For your time too!
I print because i enjoy it, i like the control i have over my prints, its probably no cheaper than having someone else do them!
I think i am stuck in the middle! I can produce great prints, I know how to use my printer, lightroom, how to calibrate my printer/screen for different papers and use the papers for different pictures, I just wondered if there was more i could learn..
Funnily there are designers where i work, they ask me when they have printing problems!

Looked at the calumet courses and Permajet too! I will think about it!!

26 Jul 2016 11:25AM
At the stage you say you are at, I'd have thought the best way to learn is by personal experience. Just keep doing it. I always took my most important client's work to a lab in Covent Garden. Hugely expensive but Gene Nocon did prints his way and always seemed to make my work look more what I wanted than I had seen for myself.

Basically, Gene could do technical perfection with ease but it was was his personal touch you paid for. That's why I say that, if you can print well now, what you need to learn is something that only you can learn for yourself. Just keep doing it. When you learn to trust your own judgement, that's when you are a really good printer. Or photographer, for that matter.

thewilliam 12 6.1k
26 Jul 2016 1:47PM
David, I suggest that contact with a master is normally very beneficial and we can give rapid progress. The quality of my own darkroom printing took an upward leap after a half-hour chat with the late great Larry Bartlett.

Your dealings with Nocon enabled you to learn you just what was possible from a printer, something you couldn't have experienced if you only ever seen machine prints from a High Street lab.

But we need to know something before we can ask the right questions so the OP might be ready to meet a master.

Some of the paper manufacturers and distributors have "pet" masters who run day workshops. My friend Andy Beel FRPS does training for Fotospeed.
26 Jul 2016 2:34PM

Quote: chat with the late great Larry Bartlett.
Larry Bartlett! I knew him when he was a printer on the Express and I use to shift there. He used to work with John Downing. I recall John saying something along the lines of Bartlett making his pictures much better than he could envisage them being.

I also remember an old Fleet Street saying, that no photographer is a hero to his printer.
curlyfilm 16 139
26 Jul 2016 10:44PM
Thanks all, plenty of food for thought! I will carry on for a bit, practising!
Though for the price of certain courses, i could buy lots of paper and ink and therefore experience!

thewilliam 12 6.1k
27 Jul 2016 11:17AM
Don't you mean that you can waste lots of material and still not create top-notch prints?

I'd suggest that the right workshop is probably the most cost-effective way forward.
curlyfilm 16 139
27 Jul 2016 10:17PM
I think my canon pro-10 produces great prints, however i was wondering if my input could be better!
I may try a permajet day class, i like their papers and it would good to find out more.

Thanks again!
thewilliam 12 6.1k
28 Jul 2016 12:43PM
If you had a Steinway piano or Stradivarius violin, would you deliver a virtuoso performance without tuition? Very few folk, in any field are truly self-taught with no input from a master.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.