Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Where to Photograph Tigers, Lions & Leopards etc.

DerekL 16 228 24 England
8 May 2005 8:38AM
Can anyone advise the best Zoo in England to photograph the big cats, without the problem of shooting through wire netting?
I have been to West Midlands Safari Park, Bewdley (Pretty good)and Burford Wildlife Park (Not so good.
alerpiniere 17 10
8 May 2005 8:42AM
You could try the West Midlands Safari, or of course Longleat. Only thing with these, is you're shooting thru the glass of your car - need to make sure its clean!!
Phoenix 20 1.9k England
8 May 2005 8:53AM
Best place I found for Leopards is Santago in Hertfordshire
gravyman 17 45
8 May 2005 12:40PM
Hi Derek

There is the Wildlife Heritage Foundation at Maidstone.
I was there last week and if you check my profile I have some pics from there.

It is not open to the public but there are some wildlife photographers who run workshops and you get access to all the animals. They have Lions, 3 breads of Tigers, a Cheetah (although it had been moved to another park as part of a breeding program)2 Amur leopards and Snow Leopards.

Chris Weston ran this workshop and he also runs others at Santago.

I can highly recommend his workshops.

Graham
simons 16 13
8 May 2005 12:47PM
I would also suggest Santago and the Wildlife Heritage Foundation, if you don't want to do a workshop, the owner does photography days as well, look for adverts in photographic magazines and BBC wildlife.
As for Zoos, Banham Zoo has glass pannels to view through, however it does require the cat to be in the right place when you want to take a photo.
Simon
Badsey 16 20 United Kingdom
8 May 2005 2:56PM
Oz is quite good, or so I've heard. They have Lions and Tigers and Bears...Oh My!

Sorry, couldn't resist that when I saw the subject line.
Bewdley is reasonable, but you really do have to pick your days, it can be a little bit of a squash on busy days. The big cats have always been in pens whenever I went.
The Cotswold wildlife park is very good, sorft of a safari park, but you walk around. The cental reserve is a great place for the Rhino's etc, they do stick to the middle a little so remember your long lenses.

That's my tupence worth for now.

Badsey
DerekL 16 228 24 England
9 May 2005 12:21PM
Thanks to all for the information and suggestions, most welcome.

Derek

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.