Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Which 105mm Diameter Circular Polariser is best???

BillyGoatGruff 8 191 199 England
4 Mar 2009 5:36PM
Hi folks.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the which is the best 105mm diameter circular polarising filter.
I've done a bit of research and have narrowed down the main brands I'm prepared to consider:
and, possibly, Hitech although I'm not sure if they actually do one this size.
[Singh-Ray are prohibitively expensive, and currently, do not provide a CPL of this diameter.]

I'm currently awaiting delivery of the Lee system, so filters that fix to the front of individual lenses are not really of interest to me.

I've had a few interesting and helpful thoughts and suggestions from certain accomplished epzers, but thought I'd open this up to a larger sample of the epz world.

So...which of these 3 (or 4) is best, from a quality and usability point-of-view?
And...normal or slim??

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Chris_H 12 1.5k 1
4 Mar 2009 5:42PM
I use the Heliopan filter and its slightly slimmer than the Lee version so Vignetting is not going to be as bad.

I would also recomend the Heliopan for their customer care, I had a Heliopan filter that was about three years old and I dropped it, the glass smashed so I asked Heliopan if they could replace the glass and how much it would cost, they said send it to them in germany and they will see what they can do, a few weeks later they sent a brand new polariser free of charge.
4 Mar 2009 5:46PM
Cheers, Chris.

Most interesting and helpful.

baxter 11 164 England
4 Mar 2009 8:09PM
I bought the B+W Kasemann, this has been really good. Align the B+W logo with the sun for full polarisation. Easy!

However the Heliopan warming polariser has a good number of fans. It is supposed to minimise colour shift to blue.

Since I tend to use a polariser relatively infrequently, I haven't been tempted to switch, or even try one for that matter.
5 Mar 2009 6:54AM
Which lens have you got in mind - 105mm is huge and implies something like a 600mm.
Many big telephotos have a rear slot in filter system with a pol option.
MeanGreeny 10 3.7k England
5 Mar 2009 8:02AM

Someone told me a while ago that they were made by B+W - unconfirmed though
conrad 11 10.9k 116
5 Mar 2009 9:03AM
So is Praktica, but that doesn't necessarily help... Wink
5 Mar 2009 1:01PM
Looks like Heliopan is currently front running....

Len: Read the question!! It's not going to be put on a lens; it's going on the front of the Lee filter system! Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.