Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Which Camera?

Nikk 14 10
28 Dec 2006 2:19PM
Hi everyone! I know very little about cameras & after an afternoon on the net I'm even more confused about which camera to buy..

Please could you help me?

What I want to do:
Close up shots (indoor & out)
Abstract
Manipulate some images on the PC (bit of advice on a package would be great too)
Landscapes & everything in between

I want to blow images up, put them on canvas & for them to be really high quality.

My budget would be about 250ish

Cheers

Nick
Coleslaw 16 13.4k 28 Wales
28 Dec 2006 3:01PM
Sounds like you prefer close-up / macro works.

In that case, probably a used Canon 350D with lens kit. In ebay, yuo can probably get from 250-350. Then, save some money and get a macro lens, either Tamron 90mm or Sigma 105mm or even sigma 90-300 APO with good close up function.

Thats my suggestion anyway.
LittleJack 15 28
28 Dec 2006 3:04PM
Hiya, you didn't specify, but I assume you are looking at digital cameras.
For all you want to do a good compact with a zoom will do, except, although you can blow images up to put on canvas I'm afraid you will not get 'really high quality'. You'd need an entry level DSLR like the Canon EOS 400D, and unfortunately they are a few bob above your budget.
As far as digital manipulation packages go, most new cameras are bundled with an enhancement of some kind, which will allow you to practice before thinking of spending on something more advanced.
Nikk 14 10
28 Dec 2006 3:16PM
Great, thanks for replying..

So, reccomendations are:

A used Canon 350D with lens kit. + macro lens (would this produce high the quality images I need when enlarged?)
or
A good compact with a zoom (a bit non specific! lol)

Other than that its a Canon EOS 400D which Ive just Googled & is between 4 & 500 quid..bit out of reach at present

As for a package, Id want to go a bit further than just enhancing, Id want to really manipulate/chop the images up

Thanks again guys, any other recommendations very welcome

Many thanks

Nick
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2006 3:34PM

Quote:A used Canon 350D with lens kit. + macro lens (would this produce high the quality images I need when enlarged?)

Assuming you learn to use the camera correctly, then yes, absoultely.

As a cheeper alternitive to a macro lens, conider a close-up filter to fit on the kit lens.

As for software, have a look at Photoshop Elements or PSP 10. Avalible for around 70ish.

Mattw
bmh1 15 572 1 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2006 4:16PM
You might not need a macro, it depends on how close you want to get, the kit lens goes reasonably close (should be able to get something around 60mm x 40mm full frame).

If you want to get closer another cheap alternative are contactless extension tubes (12-15 ish on ebay), but you will lose infinity focus, controll over the aperture and will have to manual focus.

As for software, you could use GIMP available for around 0ish!

Bernard
Nikk 14 10
28 Dec 2006 4:21PM
so is losing infinity focus, controll over the aperture and having to manual focus so bad? If I learned how is that stuff difficult?
bmh1 15 572 1 United Kingdom
28 Dec 2006 4:55PM
Well, losing infinity focus means that you would have to add in/remove the extension tubes every time you want to change between photographing close/distant objects which is an inconvenience (and increases the chances of getting dust on the sensor).

With control over the aperture you could set a smaller aperture and get a better depth of field, whereas with the cheap contactless extension tubes the aperture will be wide open, whether this matters depends on your subject ...

Manual focus is possible, and many people prefer to use manual focus for macro work, but it can be tricky to get the focus spot on with the viewfinder on the 350D.

I think all these difficulties can be overcome with patience and practice ...

Bernard
Centurion 16 1.2k England
28 Dec 2006 5:06PM
Most suggestions above will take you well over the 250 mark.

However its a good step towards future upgrades and as you improve you will want the flexibility of a dlsr.

Even if you go for a second hand d70 or 300d depending on brands these will serve there purpose and allow you to spend more money on better glass.

If your budget is very tight however, most high end compacts will suffice.

Gav
Nikk 14 10
29 Dec 2006 10:30AM
Dust on the sensor..? is that something I should be wary of when buying a second hand 350D? or is it something I can just clean myself, actually while Im asking is there anything obvious I should look out for/ask when buying a 2nd hand one?

Thanks for your help by the way everyone.
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
29 Dec 2006 10:52AM
With the right tools, you can clean dust off the sensor yourself. I use Digi pads and eclipse fluid.

It is worth reading up about this subject before cleaning, however bear in mind that there is a lot of needless hysteria written about this subject - and some very overpriced solutions on the market.

Mattw
Nikk 14 10
2 Jan 2007 10:35AM
Hi again & happy new year to you all.

I've been looking through Ebay for either a Canon 350d or 400d & Ive seen on some of the auctions 'THIS IS A GENUINE 350D, NOT THE USA REBEL XT VERSION' & some say theyre imported from Japan... whats the difference between these? is it more expensive for add on's like lenses etc if I bought one of these imports or doesnt it matter?

Cheers
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2007 10:37AM
'Rebel' is just the US name for the 350D. The only real differences are the power adaptor and the guarantee, which are both designed for America.

Unless you are buying second hand I would recommend you make sure you get a camera with either a UK or international warranty. If you get one with an American charger you will need to get a UK one, which is extra cost. If they are dual voltage you could just get a continental adaptor. If they are the same principle as the Nikon chargers you could get a UK kettle lead to plug into the transformer.

Ian
Nikk 14 10
2 Jan 2007 10:39AM
Thanks Ian, & what about these Jap imports Ive seen..is it the same with them?
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
2 Jan 2007 10:40AM
Same principle, make sure the warranty covers you in the UK.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.