Which camera would you choose?

marybal4 13 70 England
31 Oct 2018 3:07PM
I want to buy my son a good but not massively expensive Nikon DSLR. I have narrowed it down to Nikon D5600 + AF-P 18-55 VR
or Nikon D3500 + AF-P DX 1855 VR Kit -

I would love to hear your views on these please. My son has reasonable photography knowledge having frequently used my Nikon cameras!

Thank you so much
Mary

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ShaunsPics 8 87 United Kingdom
31 Oct 2018 5:16PM
go with the d3500 the d5600 is over priced for what it is if he picks up photography ( unlike my grandson) he will move to better equipment when the bug bites.
31 Oct 2018 9:43PM
...or a good nick, pre-owned, say, D300...?
MUSTDOS 5 16 Lebanon
1 Nov 2018 4:08AM
I would by a semi pro old DSLR

Budget DSLRs come with really bad mirror box (not pentaprisms)
You won't even get an 80% view, bad colors (nothing looks "3D"), and lowlight appears extremely dark.

Plus, you get a non-plastic body.
Dennis45 1 42 Canada
1 Nov 2018 7:14AM
D7000, as you can use almost any lenses.
pathrover 4 42 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2018 4:27PM
How old is your son?

He might like to handle the cameras himself and have an opinion.

At risk of getting thrown out of the Nikon forum, he might even like something mirrorless. A fuji X series with some cheap old lenses via an adaptor will teach him a lot about focussing and aperture and will produce some interesting effects.
franken Plus
17 5.0k 4 United Kingdom
1 Nov 2018 5:05PM
I've never purchased a camera without actually holding one in my hands first. What may feel comfortable to use for some, may not be for others.
Rogi 1 5 Canada
29 Nov 2018 10:08PM
If you still haven't made your decision I love my Nikon D5500 and would recommend it over the moon for a new shooter, as everyone said above touch and feel is a good thing to consider but in my opinion you can still score a new D5500 and it will perform as good or better than the D5600. It is certainly lighter and more budget friendly. The tilt screen has been a life saver in many occasions Smile
LenShepherd 11 4.0k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2018 10:23AM
I am speculating your son is in his early teens.
I agree a more robust body bought second hand might be a better option.
Most reputable second hand dealers give a 6 month warranty.
You have not mentioned a budget.
A little used current model D7200 is below 600, with a D7100 and D D700 at lower prices.
thewilliam2 2 1.3k
30 Nov 2018 10:42AM
I'd suggest that the real purpose of a first camera is for your grandson to learn what camera he wants to use.
It will allow him to firm up his likes and dislikes. Quality has nothing to do with it. I hate using Leica M!

When my wife started doing wedding photography as a virtual novice, she used the company Kodak DCS760 cameras which were probably the best digital DSLR at the time. Over the months, she grew to hate the 760 but at least she knew why and she was then in a position to choose her own camera.

We have to use a camera to gain experience. As Len suggests, buy him a second-hand camera or lend him one of yours until he knows what he really wants.

When we buy wisely, we get to keep our cameras for a long,long time.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.