Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Which Canon lenses to photograph Machu Picchu and Rainforest

rachhs 3 1
3 Jul 2013 1:54PM
Hi, I am an amateur photographer with a Canon 550D. I am travelling to Peru in August visiting Machu Picchu and the Rainforest. Ia m trying to decide which lenses to take with me so that I can get the best photographs and would really welcome your advice.

Thanks
Rachel

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

franken Plus
14 4.0k 4 Wales
3 Jul 2013 2:10PM
What lenses do you have Rachel?

Ken
lemmy 9 2.7k United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 2:12PM
A kit zoom should do the trick.
A rain coat might be very handy.
mikehit 7 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 2:29PM
The rainforest can get susprisingly dark, even at midday, but the high ISO capability of the 550D should make things a tad easier (find some local woodland and see how it goes). I presume you want minimum weight so I would suggest mainly zoom lenses - the 15-85 is an excellent option with the 50mm f1.8 for low light and portaits. If you want a telephoto zoom, the 70-300 IS USM is a vastly under-rated lens or if you want something lighter the 55-250.

A lighter solution would be the Tamron 18-270 with the Canon 50mm f1.8: there is a very good '365 day roadtetst' on this site that shows the capability of this lens for wide andgle, telephoto and macro. This actually may not be a bad option if the weather is wet.

Ideally, I would also take a lightweight tripod (one of the Velbon Ulra-Rexi range?) so you could do some panoramic stitching or long exposures. If that is too much bulk/weight think about the Gorillapod.
Also consider a polarising filter.
MalcolmS Plus
11 1.2k 13 England
3 Jul 2013 3:12PM
My avatar was taken at Machu Picchu. The 15-85mm Canon is a superb all round lens as has been said. I think from I had the 17-85 mm at the time. If you want a bigger zoom, can't say I ever needed one there, the Sigma 18-200mm OS is a good compromise. The Tamron above is also widely quoted as being not a bad lens. Neither are as good as the Canon 15-85mm however.
sherlob Plus
10 2.8k 126 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2013 3:21PM
Mine if you take me with you LOL TongueWink
RavenTepes 7 226 United States
3 Jul 2013 5:13PM
Tamron 18-270mm PZD comes to mind for travel photography if a fast lens isn't important to you. I rarely shoot wide open, but usually stick to the f/8-16.
rachhs 3 1
4 Jul 2013 11:10AM
Wow - thank you so much for the advice. I will let you know what I decide - I am sure that I will have lots more questions.
x
stevie 12 1.2k 2 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2013 6:45AM
Having done this trip a few years ago, I'd suggest that you need something wide for landscapes - there are a lot of opportunities there to say the least - and a short telephoto for things like portraits of the local people. So I agree a good one-lens solution for your trip and your camera would be the 15-85 suggested above. If you wanted to take two, with the 550 I'd probably take something like the 10-22 for wide stuff and maybe a 70-200 for when you need something longer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.