Which lens for D200 ?

RichardB 15 328 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2006 10:26AM
I have finally decided to get a dslr to replace my ancient film slr and digital compact.
Took the plunge and told someone to put me down for a Nikon D200 :^O
I havn't yet decided what lens to get to start out with. Thinking maybe AF-S VRG 24-120mm then adding: wide, tele and macro as I reach the need or want.
Has anyone got any thoughts on these or other suggestions.
Maybe I should have just got the Canon 30D which is in stock ? :^|

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

PeterLondon 15 366
27 Mar 2006 12:46PM
I have the 24-120 VR and I have been very happy with it both in terms of sharpness and useability.

But the newly released 18-200mm is probably a better bet as it gives a much wider range of focal lengths, is as sharp, has a better VR system, has a closer minimum focus and isnt much more expensive.
I have the D200 and now am using with it the 17-55 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8 - they hit the pocket hard but so far have proved to be superb.

It depends what sort of thing you're going for really. I'd like to add the Sigma 10-20mm and I think I'll pretty much sorted. I also still use my trusty 50mm f1.8 which works superbly on the D200.

As Peter says - the 18-200mm is probably the way to go for an all-rounder (if you can be prepared to wait for it...!)
RichardB 15 328 United Kingdom
27 Mar 2006 1:57PM
Thanks Peter & azza.
Yes I did think of the 18-200 and am still. Two things put me off were the price seems to rise daily so I am beginning to question value and a review that said it wasn't so good past 120mm. Reviews always contradict each other though so suppose can't place much weight there.
3 things the wait. A friend asked Nikon and they said not before the end of the summer if you havn't already got one on order Sad Not sure I will wait that long the camera body I was told probably later this week, or next week.
PeterLondon 15 366
27 Mar 2006 11:36PM
There has been quite a bit of discussion on here about how long you might have to wait for a 18-200mm.... people keep talking about long waiting lists.

My experience is that a lot of people have put their name on more than one waiting list....including me.

Ironically I have my name on three lists still from before xmas and havent heard a thing from them yet I put my name on the list a fixation in Feb and got the lens in March. I went from number 13 on the list to the top of the list in about 3 weeks. As for the price 421 plus VAT.

I am sure the comments about the performance at 200mm are justified and if you know you want to use a longer lens then this may not be the lens for you... I like it more for its versatility at the wider end with the knowledge you can use 200mm without having to change lenses. Not always possible or desireable in crowded or dusty situations.

My bigger criticism would be the autofocus seems to not be as quick to lock on in low light as the 24-120mm.

As an aside, I carry the 180mm f2.8 in my bag most of the time as it is light and fantastically sharp, but sometimes it just isnt possible to change the lens without missing the shot.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.