Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Which lens please for Nikon D5300?

LouiseTopp 7 627 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2018 3:18PM
Im looking at two lenses:

Sigma 18-250 319, (reduced down from 329)
Tamron Dii PZD 18-270 270
I would like to buy one of them. At the moment I have a 18-105 lens which has done me well, but when I had my Pentax I owned an 18-200 lens which I liked.

I do landscapes, but also costume jewellery and portraits (occasionally) Please can you tell me which is the better lens to go for?

Many thanks Smile

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

seahawk 10 1.2k United Kingdom
13 Jan 2018 5:44PM
You don't say which camera you have Louise, but when I had my Nikon outfit I had the Sigma 18-250mm and I thought it was excellent - more robust than the Tamron in my opinion. I would go for that one but try both and see which 'feels' better to you. They are both good lenses. I just preferred the feel of the Sigma.
LouiseTopp 7 627 United Kingdom
13 Jan 2018 6:54PM

Quote:You don't say which camera you have Louise

Hi thanks for your reply, it'[s in the title. It's a Nikon D5300. Both lenses are in different shops, been doing research and it mentions a lock?
seahawk 10 1.2k United Kingdom
14 Jan 2018 11:36AM
Could mean a lock to stop 'zoom-creep' when the lens is pointed downwards. Sorry, I missed the name of your camera in the title. As I said earlier, try both lenses and see which feels best for you.
EddieAC Plus
13 2.0k 2 United Kingdom
14 Jan 2018 12:13PM
This will really come down to personal preference. I have Tamron and Sigma lenses, both are good manufacturers and I like the quality I get from their use so I couldn't recommend one over the other.

This site features a review of the Tamron Here and this mentions the lock. I couldn't find a site review of the Sigma but there may be one although there are plenty of reviews of both lenses on the internet.

As Seahawk suggests you can ask to see and each lens to find which one you prefer. The shops in question may also let you attach them to your camera so you can check and take a test photo etc.

Also you can find both lenses on mpb.com which is worth a look and I've bought from this site before and thoroughly recommended.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.