Which Lens would you recommend?

sneal 12 6 7 United Kingdom
20 Jan 2009 10:31PM
Zoom or Prime?
I have both a Nikon 70-300VR f/4.5-5.6 AF-s and Nikon 300 f/4.0 AF. Ignoring the VR for this debate, the prime is sharper than the zoom, and being f/4.0 that little bit brighter. However, as has already been mentioned, the prime is less versatile. Being able to zoom out a little can often make an image.

VR?
It makes a big a difference, an image in my PF taken at max zoom - 300mm at 1/45th sec . Definitely worth a thought.

Sigma or Nikon?
I have two Sigma lenses; 10-20mm and 105mm Macro - neither anywhere near 300mm! Anyway, the 105 macro is a stunner. Easy to use, pretty well built and optically I reckon as good as any macro.
Check out the review sites - like this one

Hope this helps

Steve

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

kellydowling 11 15 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2009 1:54PM

Quote:Zoom or Prime?
I have both a Nikon 70-300VR f/4.5-5.6 AF-s and Nikon 300 f/4.0 AF. Ignoring the VR for this debate, the prime is sharper than the zoom, and being f/4.0 that little bit brighter. However, as has already been mentioned, the prime is less versatile. Being able to zoom out a little can often make an image.

VR?
It makes a big a difference, an image in my PF taken at max zoom - 300mm at 1/45th sec. Definitely worth a thought.

Sigma or Nikon?
I have two Sigma lenses; 10-20mm and 105mm Macro - neither anywhere near 300mm! Anyway, the 105 macro is a stunner. Easy to use, pretty well built and optically I reckon as good as any macro.
Check out the review sites - like this one

Hope this helps

Steve

Thanks Steve,

Just one stupid question what does VR mean? :-/

Thanks

Kelly
sneal 12 6 7 United Kingdom
21 Jan 2009 6:49PM
VR is Vibration Reduction - Nikon's branding for technology in the lens to reduce camera shake - allowing use of a slower shutter speed than would normally be used for a given focal length.
The old rule of thumb in the days of film was to pick a minimum shutter speed of one over the focal length. So, for a 500mm lens choose 1/500th second. Nikon claim 3 or 4 stops, so with the same 500mm lens potentially 1/60th sec could be used. From my experience you still need a very steady hand to get 3 stops improvement.

Other brands use different names...
Canon - Image Stabilisation or IS
Sigma - Optical Stabilisation or OS
Tamron - Vibration Compensation or VC

I have no experience with any of these, only VR; which I think is really useful, but not a substitute for a wide maximum aperture. Ideally, I'd have both - like the Nikon 300mm f/2.8 VR but at several thousand pound not a hope!

Hope all that makes sense.

Cheers

Steve

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.