Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Which Macro?

Leif 16 777
3 Oct 2012 9:28PM
He has probably bought a lens by now, however ...

Quote:(Although it'll probably develop into another argument!)

No...the arguments start when you ask what focal length is best....

The 40mm 50mm group who are happy for a bumble bee to leave his nose print on the front element, to the 150mm 180mm brigade who prefer to be on the other side of the room...

Sitting on the middle ground myself, I'm quite happy with 105mm (Nikon's version) which sits at neither extreme... so I reckon the Canon 100mm would be a good idea..

Exactly. I agree with your post.

Short focal length lenses are good for use in small spaces, where you can't be far away from the object, or for objects that do not move, such as product shots, jewellery, still lifes, that sort of thing. If you photograph a watch, you don't want to be on the other side of the room. Long focal lengths are good for insects and other creatures that are wary, or dangerous so you can't or don't want to get close. Long focal lengths also isolate the subject, providing a nice smooth out of focus background without too much distracting detail. But, long focal length lenses are heavier, more expensive and more difficult to use (vibrations are more apparent).

A ~100mm lens is a good compromise. The Tamron 90mm F2.8 AF lens is very good. I have loads of Nikon macro lenses (6 at the last count), and I used to own the Tamron. The colour rendition is different from the Nikon, but it has very very good optics. It feels a bit cheap (high density polythene casing I think) but I'm sure it is quite strong. By all accounts the Canon lens is a cracker too.
User_Removed 19 2.8k 11 United Kingdom
3 Oct 2012 10:36PM
The lens was purchased quite some time ago as far as I know.
But thanks everyone. Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.