Try Kindle Unlimited For 3-Months For Just 99p!

Which macro lens

steve_p 16 1.2k England
23 Jul 2010 5:06PM
I have only just seen this thread so its a couple of days late, but heres my experience. I have owned a 60mm EFS Canon- good quality but you need to get very close for "bug" shots.
I then purchased a Tamron 90 mm it was not the latest one(DI 11) but it was brilliant on my 40D. (theres one for sale in the classifieds at 130- got to be a bargain.)
However it didnt produce the goods on the 7D- so I sold it and got the Canon 100mm non IS 400 worth of anyones money- absolutely superb!Smile
discreetphoton Plus
17 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2010 5:12PM

Quote:I also after reading everyones comments and then reading the reviews that some of the front lens protrudes when focussing. I would have thought with macro that would be a big disadvantage

With the 150mm's greater working distance, it's not as big a disadvantage as you may think.
Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2010 5:26PM
Hi
Last question and then I will have to make a decision. Why would I buy a macro 100mm prime lens when I can buy something like a 70-200 macro lens for a lot less. Is the image quality better with a prime lens?

Thanks
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
23 Jul 2010 5:32PM
70-200 macro will not give you true macro (ie:1:1 magnification option) but, typically between 30%-50% of full size image.
It will also lack some optical quality, particularly the fine detail resolution which is so important if you want bugs and butterfly shots to stand out.
23 Jul 2010 5:35PM
Thanks to everyone for your help.
I now have to just make a decision.

thanks again
Graywolf 14 1.0k United Kingdom
23 Jul 2010 8:18PM

Quote:Hi
I would love the Canon but that is out of my price range.

thanks

The Canon 100mm non IS macro lens is NOT out of your price range and is well worth considering.

Remember that ther longer the focal length the heavier the lens. Now while it is true that much macro work is done using a tripod, this is only practical for static or relatively sedentary subjects. If you are after insects and other wee beasties a tripod becomes a superfluous encumbrance and liability. For this kind of game you need to be mobile, agile and travel light.

I sold my Sigma 105 (we did have some correspondence I think Kate) and my sigma 10-22 to buy the Canon 100 IS. I have not regretted it. I sometimes yearn for the reach of the Canon 180 but in reality it would be no advantage because of the extra weight.

I would really urge you to consider the non IS Canon 100mm before you finally make your decision.

All true macro lenses are primes!!
netsukekoi 14 57 United Kingdom
3 Aug 2010 11:03AM
Seeing all the comments about 60mm versus 100mm versus 150 or 180 - for photography like Kate suggests (flowers and insects), isn't a 100mm quite long already for an APS-C camera? Am in a similar decision and trying to decide which of the Canon offers to go for.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
3 Aug 2010 11:08AM

Quote:isn't a 100mm quite long already for an APS-C camera?

I would tend to agree with that, since getting a 7D plus Canon 100mm L lens, my 150mm Sigma, which was being fitted to a 5D, is not getting a run out, and will probable soon be sold.
7 Aug 2010 10:15AM
Buy the Canon - the lens quality and the build quality are first class - if you can't afford the new 100 L lens then go for the older one - it isn't an 'L' lens but if you look up reviews on it - it is often stated that it is as good as an 'L' lens. i.e. it is the only one Canon make that (at the time) should have been an 'L'. I used to have the 180 macro lens but found it impossible to hand hold (yeah I know in macro it should always be on a tripod - but try getting a butterfly to stop at the right angle!) I have now swapped it for the new 100 IS lens and find it terrific. It will also work whenever you decide to upgrade your camera (staying with Canon of course!) I am sure if you shop around you will find the older 100 lens within your budget. Have fun - macro photography is wonderful !
7 Aug 2010 11:22AM

Quote:yeah I know in macro it should always be on a tripod

That is a bit of a myth, and a near impossibility when stalking bugs.
20 Aug 2010 5:04AM
Hi Kate have you bought your macro lens yet? and if so which did you go for and are you happy with it. John.
20 Aug 2010 5:05AM
sorry pressed wrong buton xx
20 Aug 2010 4:48PM
hi thermosoflask

Yes I bought the canon 100mm EX DG. I think I made the right decision. It is quick to focus and doesn't extend when focusing. I have found it good for general things as well as macro.
The macro is great but it is quite difficult sometimes because with the widest aperture the depth of field is so shallow that it is not always easy to focus on the bit you want. Trial and error.
All in all I am very happy with the lens.

Kate
20 Aug 2010 6:57PM

Quote:I bought the canon 100mm EX DG

Are you sure? the terms EX and DG belong to Sigma not Canon
20 Aug 2010 8:27PM
Good choice Kate, i've bought the same lens for my 450d, i found using a tripod then use live view to help you focus you can enlarge 10x with live view so you can be precise with it and move the object rather than the lens helps as does a 2 or 10 sec delay on shutter or use a remote, i'll be uploading some snake foto's later you can check them out if you want.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.