Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

Which macro lens

Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2010 11:33PM
Hi
As you said it is much better with the tripod and using live view10x to get more precise and using manual focus. Like you, I usually use 2sec delay. I would love to be able to use the macro lens without having to use the tripod but I didn't get very good results. Quite a lot were blurred and I couldn't make my mind up if it was better using a quick shutter speed or using AV. What do you think?
I have never uploaded a picture before but I am tempted to have go. The problem being that I think they are good because they I am pleased with them as my first attempt at macro but compared with others they aren't great.
When I look back at some of my first ones that I thought were good I can now see they were quite bad. Smile But as we know it is all trial and error.

I look forward to seeing your snake pics. Is it your own snake?

Kate
Kate11171 15 36 United Kingdom
20 Aug 2010 11:35PM
As opposed to one take at the zoo? Smile
21 Aug 2010 6:21AM
Hi Kate, i was exactly the same when i first tried macro and i still love my first shots even though they are prob not that good , as for shutter speed it all depends on the light the better the light the faster the shutter the less chance of blur , the snake shots i took yesterday were hand held at f8 and 1/200 of a sec but i did have a 250 watt studio flash as well, i can only upload 1 photo a day on here i put up a venus fly trap whch was one of my first attempts at macro, some of the snake photo's are on fotolibra a stock site, you could look there search for :- snow corn snake if you find one of mine you can click more photos by this tog, oh, there a bit horrid as the snake was eating a pinkie if you have weak stomach dont look, the snake is a pet of a young lad who lives just up the road from me, if your shooting living creatures always focus on the eye's get them pin sharp and you'll have great pics, rarley does a pic work with the eye's blurred, applies to humans as well ok, i'll be putting the snake on my own website sometime over the weekend including the not so gory ones. you prob notice that your depth of view is very shallow the closer you get to the subject the shallower the depth of view sometimes as little as 2mm, its sometimes easier to stand back a bit to get a better depth of view and still use f2.8, shoot in raw as well as jpeg, persevere you'll find it very rewarding with digital it costs nothing to experiment cept maybe a bit of time , take care would love to see some of your shots John.
cambirder 17 7.2k England
21 Aug 2010 11:46AM

Quote:As you said it is much better with the tripod and using live view10x to get more precise and using manual focus

Except bugs don't hang around long enough to do that a lot of the time, which is why nearly all my stuff is shot hand held, so I think developing your hand holding skills is more important than owning a tripod if bugs are your thing

Quote:I can only upload 1 photo a day

True, but you can also upload additional images to the forum as in the following example.

common-blues.jpg
21 Aug 2010 3:55PM
cool didnt know that will add some
21 Aug 2010 3:57PM
ok here goes, this was hand held at f8 with 250 watt studio flash in the owners kitchen on the table .img-0065.jpg
21 Aug 2010 3:59PM
Cool it worked lol another again hand held F8 1/160 sec 250 watt studio flashimg-0057-tensed.jpg
21 Aug 2010 4:03PM
ok now here's one still hand held at F8 1/200 sec and flash but the bugger still moved and became a blurrimg-0140.jpg
21 Aug 2010 4:04PM
cool insect pic very good indeed
dianah 15 24.5k 4 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2010 7:38PM
Help needed here too, please. I was going to start a new thread until I saw this. My husband has just bought me a Nikon D 3000. I really want a good macro lens that will take very detailed images of flowers and maybe insects. I have a feeling that the Nikon Macro lens will be a bit too expensive..can anyone advise me as to the best second choice ! Many thanks, in anticipation ! Smile
Di
24 Aug 2010 8:01PM
I have heard good things on the Tamron 90mm macro, I nearly bought it for my canon picture quality was excellent, sorry i've never used a nikon so cant really advise, maybe take your camera to a shop and try a couple of diff lens'es, then you can buy the one you like best. tamron do make lens to fit nikon, also sigma have a new one though i havnt tried it either , Don't know how much you understand about lens'es just make sure its a true macro 1-1 rather than 1-2, as for focal length thats a matter of choice, the smaller the focal length the nearer you have to get to the subject, mine's a 100mm F2.8 which also makes a very good portrait lens, good luck and let us know how you get on, John.
24 Aug 2010 8:18PM
Thank you very much John. I would really like a 1:1 but I know that they are the most expensive. I am still very much a beginner. Could you please just explain to me about the focal length..what would be the difference say between a 60mm and a 90 mm? Does that mean that if I chose a 60mm I would need to be closer and if that is correct which is the best to go for if I am taking the small detail within a flower..the 60mm or the 90mm? I hope that makes sense !
Di
steve_p 16 1.2k England
24 Aug 2010 8:39PM

Quote: Could you please just explain to me about the focal length..what would be the difference say between a 60mm and a 90 mm? Does that mean that if I chose a 60mm I would need to be closer and if that is correct which is the best to go for if I am taking the small detail within a flower..the 60mm or the 90mm? I hope that makes sense !

Yes to your first query! The lower the number in focal length terms means the closer you need to be to get the 1:1. Personally I would opt for the 90mm because if you want to shoot insects or such the further away you are the less likely you will scare them off. You would need to look at something such as a 150mm for that.
I have owned the Tamron 90mm and it is excellent.

Steve
24 Aug 2010 8:47PM
Hi Di i've just been having a peek at your port, and i must say you have some cracking shots there, well you can tell from the vote's you got,
Now as i understand it and im no expert, say you use a 60mm lens your min focus with F2.8 might be only 20cm or 8 inches not much of a prob if its still life,,, but animals ,,, will they let you get that close?, also if the lights poor you'd almost certainly need flash...hard to do with canera and lens in that close unless you buy a ring flash ,,prob cost more than your lens. so a 90mm will prob have a min focus of 35cm or 14in, you stand a better chance on insects, if you stand further back with the 60mm you may lose some of the smaller detail, its a personel choice really the main reason i got 100mm was quailty of the picture, followed by the fact i didnt have to get to close yet still retain the smallest detail. hope that helps, expect to pay around 400 for a decent lens, think the tamron was 375 last time i looked. or try second hand one , hope this helps, John.
24 Aug 2010 8:48PM
Thank you Steve..that is such a help and I was thinking about the Tamron anyway. It is really important that I buy the right lens so am trying to find out as much as I can.
Di

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.