Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Which macro lens

dianah 15 24.5k 4 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2010 8:55PM
Thanks you John as well ! I will look at the 90mm Tamron..I presume that I will be able to reproduce really small detail. I have a Nikon D 50 at the moment with a 25-110mm lens. There is macro built into that lens but I just don't seem to get the clarification that I would like. Thank you so much for the praise..I haven't uploaded for ages as we have all our belongings packed and the battery charger is in a box somewhere until we move into our new home at the end of September !
Di
24 Aug 2010 9:19PM
well i lookforward to seeing your shots later in the year. couple of tips with macro if you dont already know is that you have a very shallow depth of field often just couple of mm, i've upload a snake pic today check it out you'll see that the sharp part is the tip of the nose even though i was aiming for the eye a mere 10mm further back lol, it makes a big diffence to the photo if your not sharp on the eye,, if possibletry and use a tripod , remote shutter and a delay of 2secs or more on the shutter as the tiniest vibration can undo your hard work, though with wildlife its often not practical, so shoot loads and pray lol. good luck and keep at it, the rewards are well worth it, god bless, John.
JJGEE 16 8.0k 18 England
24 Aug 2010 9:51PM
For my Medium Forma film camera I have a 100mm macro ( 35mm equivalent = 60mm ) which I found to be an excellent focal length for subjects like tree bark and flowers.

For my digital camera I currently have a 100mm macro ( 35mm equivalent = 100mm ) but there is a rumour hat Sony or Zeiss may release a 200mm macro lens ( 35mm equivalent = 200mm) which I may be tempted to get as that would also be a nice "prime" telephoto lens as well.
24 Aug 2010 10:38PM
Tamron 90mm won the day until 15 minutes ago when my husband said he would get me the Nikon 60mm micro Nikkor ! I know the Nikon is more expensive..does anyone know how much better that lens in particular is ? I know I am asking so many questions and thank you to everybody who has answered. This is really important to me and I mustn't make any mistakes. I have wanted a macro lens for so long..I am so excited at the prospect !
Di
discreetphoton Plus
17 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2010 10:48PM
If I had to choose between the Nikon 60mm and the Tamron 90mm, I'd take the Tamron. The longer reach will be more useful for insects, and the optics are just as good as in the Nikon. Switching from auto to manual focus is easier with the Tamron, and the other advantage is that it will work with all nikon cameras, as it has full frame coverage and an aperture ring (meaning it can still be used on older film cameras if you so wish). I shoot with a 105 VR myself, but the Tamron would be my first runner-up. I've used it on many occasions.
The main difference is in the build quality, as the Nikon has a metal shell and a constant barrel length, whilst the Tamron is plastic (albeit very well put together) and telescopes during use.
24 Aug 2010 10:58PM
Thanks David.. I think I will take your advice. I have just been looking at your macro shots with envy but the lens that you use is too expensive for me at the moment. I am going to Jessops tomorrow to have a look..not to buy, as they are not the cheapest but at least I can get a glimpse of what I am getting. This has been such an interesting evening and so very helpful..thank you to everyone.
Di
discreetphoton Plus
17 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
24 Aug 2010 11:29PM

Quote:Thanks David.. I think I will take your advice. I have just been looking at your macro shots with envy but the lens that you use is too expensive for me at the moment. I am going to Jessops tomorrow to have a look..not to buy, as they are not the cheapest but at least I can get a glimpse of what I am getting. This has been such an interesting evening and so very helpful..thank you to everyone.
Di

Thanks very much Smile Good plan, although I don't know how likely you are to find the Tamron in Jessops. There's really not much to distinguish that lens and mine optically though, and at half the cost the Tamron's a great buy. I couldn't afford mine at today's prices. It was actually cheaper on release than it is now.

Good luck Smile
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
25 Aug 2010 2:40AM
I agree, the longer lens will be more suitable.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.