Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Which Nikon 300mm f2.8?

Emmog 10 38 1 England
27 Sep 2009 5:48PM
Hi all,
I have been using a Sigma 170-500mm lens for wildlife photography but the other day it really struggled with lower light conditions and didn't find the bird well amongst the moving background of a reedbed.

I have been looking in awe at the Nikon 300mm f2.8 and looked at the S/H market on ebay and Mifsuds and Nicholas. I found a Nikon 300mm f2.8 AFD on ebay but didn't have the money to afford it at the time as I don't have the income to try. It was going for bout 900.

However i then read a bit of the history on Kenrockwells website and it said that there was a problem with the lenses speed that were made before 1996. That then made me look around on the internet trying to find out if that is the lens that I should use on a Nikon D1x with a 2x TC and/or 1.4TC.

I got very confused so thought that I would turn to ephotozine for answers. I do need speed and accurate focus for wildlife (which is why I looked at a prime lens) but am not bothered about the VR functions.

I look forward to your answers

Thank you for taking the time to read my essay!

Matt

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

csurry 17 9.2k 92
27 Sep 2009 5:53PM
Rule number 1: Ken Rockwell is not always right.

Rule number 2: Places like Mifsuds give a trial period, so the best way to find out is to try it.

I don't know the history of that particular lens and there may indeed be an issue, but I would not take it as gospel just because KR says it. He does spout an awful lot of rubbish.

Try searching for the lens on Google and see if anyone else reports issues, rather than just more sites that refer back to the KR article.

Also you could try looking for a secondhand sigma 300mm f/2.8 which could provide an alternative.
Emmog 10 38 1 England
27 Sep 2009 6:03PM
Hi csurry,

Thanks for the help. I will have a look around on the internet for the Sigma but I did have a look at the Nikon 300mm and couldn't find the one that I looked at... whether that is because I didn't look up the right one, who knows.

Anyone got any experience with the Sigma?

Thanks
Matt
csurry 17 9.2k 92
27 Sep 2009 6:24PM
Another Rule Matt, if you look hard enough on the internet you can always find a bad review of anything you are thinking of buying Grin

Hobbs on here used to have the Sigma, and I think quite a few have the 120-300 which is another consideration.
rowarrior 11 4.4k 9 Scotland
27 Sep 2009 6:29PM
oh yes, I borrowed a 120-300 Sigma to take on holiday and it was very nice. I'd say it's on my wish list, but new it would be on my 'you're kidding yourself list' lol
hobbs 15 1.3k United Kingdom
27 Sep 2009 6:53PM
As Cheryl says I have the Sigma 300, had it for cannon and now nikon. Dont use it as much as I use to but still love it to bits. I was lucky and bought it new for 1200, had a shock when I came to renew my insurance and checked the new price was nearly double.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
27 Sep 2009 7:41PM

Quote:struggled with lower light conditions

It might be a good idea to work out, If this is a lens issue or the AF system on your camera, I say this because your using a D1x, A good camera in its day, But Nikons AF systems have moved on a lot since that model was made.

For example, The AF performance of my D200 is not as good as my D700, Thats not to say the D200 is bad, But it does demonstrate the improvements in the latest AF systems.

That said the lens you mention Sigma 170-500 is also an older model, Combine the 2, And your going to struggle when the conditions are not favourable.

Either way you need to figure out, Which of the upgrade alternatives, Will be better given the budget your working to..Smile

IDEA..Smile Try and borrow a newer body, Then see how the lens performs..!
Emmog 10 38 1 England
28 Sep 2009 9:02AM
Thanks for all the help guys. I will check the lens on another body if I can get borrow one from a friend.

I will have a look for the Sigma lenses and also I will keep looking for the Nikon version aswell.

Matt

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.