Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Which OM-1 50mm lens?

Hello,

I've inherited my dad's OM-1. There are two 50mm lenses: an F.Zuiko f/1.8 and a G.Zuiko f/1.4 rather than keep them both I'd like to swap one for a shorter lens, 28mm or 35mm perhaps my question is, which of the two should I keep? My instinct is: 1.4 is faster, G has more elements so probably more expensive and hence maybe better so keep that one... Does that sound right? Does anyone have any actual experience of these lenses?

Thanks,
Ben

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam2 2 1.3k
25 Jan 2018 9:09AM
My father-in-law used Olympus and the 1.4 version of the standard lens. Both are good and he was pleased with his choice. How often do you need that extra 2/3 stop or the marginally brighter viewing?
filmforever 11 775
25 Jan 2018 12:54PM
You'd get more in part exchange for the 1.4. If you're going for just one wide, get the 28mm.
I used OM1's for a couple of years back in the 80's....Tip: unless you're using the body with a winder or drive permanently attached, place a piece of tape across the motor drive cover which has an annoying habit of working free and falling off, the bayonet lock has a short turn and is not very secure.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
25 Jan 2018 4:37PM
The G zuiko were of the earlier generation with the G standing for 7 elements, these can sometimes yellow a bit.

The only real advantage of the f1.4 was the extra half of a stop, it gave you a brighter viewfinder, handy in low light but the bokeh is nothing special, I very rarely used mine any wider than about f2 to f2.8 and for this reason I generally preferred the f1.8.

The nobs out there will bend over double for an f1.4, they all assume it is better and will pay more money, sell it and keep the f1.8.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.