PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Which paper to use?

RichardB 15 328 United Kingdom
2 May 2007 9:15PM
Hi all,

I recently bought a printer so that I can take control of the whole process from capture to print. Previously I always used a lab to do prints. Photography is a hobby for me so I am looking to get the best possible results at an amateur level and to learn from the whole process.

After much deliberation the printer I settled on was a Canon Pixma Pro9000.

I would like to have peoples views and shared experience of using different papers. I have only just got the printer so I have bought some Canon paper -Super High Gloss. PR101. The results are good. I would however like to try different papers and finishes. From what I have read it seems most people settle on a favourite paper in the end.
Does anyone have any recommendations of what papers I could try? Is the only way to decide what I like and dislike to try them all ? I only ask because it seems a long process if I get lots of different types of papers and then get profiles for the paper to ensure I am giving each one a fair trial.

Does quality vary hugely between different papers ? I have noticed that in PS if I view out of gamut warning then the amount of colour that is out of gamut does vary hugely between different papers with the generic profiles I have downloaded from Ilford Galleria paper v Canon PR101 v Canon PP101.

I would love to hear peoples experience and some possibly some guide as to what papers to try.

Many Thanks

Richard.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

3 May 2007 7:52AM
Anyone have any thoughts or comments on different papers to try ?
fentiger 19 920 24 England
3 May 2007 8:12AM
Not a lot to offer Richard as I have an HP Printer and use HP paper. But I did buy some glossy A4 paper (210 gm) from Lidl at 4.99 for 50 sheets for test prints and family snaps and have been so amazed at its quality that I have successfully used it for competition prints. Albert
Chant57 Plus
14 395 3 United Kingdom
3 May 2007 8:15AM
Hi richard
Glad you brought this subject up. I have a HP printer and when I use HP premium glossy photo paper I get excellent results producing the image I see on screen. However I did buy some Boots Pro Quality Photo Paper 300gsm that stated it was compatible with all leading brands of inkjet printer and have to say the results are so disappointing, giving everything a green cast. I have tried different settings on the printer all to no avail. In future I think I will probably stick to the same manufacturers paper as my printer, but shall be keeping an eye on this thread for others opinions.
Chant
Slaterm 14 496 1 United Kingdom
3 May 2007 10:03AM
the problem with home printing and varying your papers is down to profiling. I use an Epson r200 which is fine for what I need. Using Epson papers is fine beacuse the bundled profiles are pretty good. If you use a non canon paper with a canon printer then you will need to spend a fair bit of time configuring your monitor, printer etc. You can get profiles done by online comanies but you need one for each combination of inks, paper and printer. Gets expensive.

I would stick to using canon papers with your new printer - unless you find that you can get results you like from others. this might cost a bit in ink though
joolsb 15 27.1k 38 Switzerland
3 May 2007 10:08AM
Most paper manufacturers will have canned profiles to match their papers to commonly-used printers freely available on their websites. Ilford certainly does - don't know about any others. So you'd only need a custom profile if your printer isn't supported or if you're really picky.
3 May 2007 12:50PM
Thanks for replies - it looks to be a case of just try them and see what happens.
dark_lord Plus
16 2.6k 684 England
3 May 2007 6:25PM
Hi Richard,

An excellent choice of printer Smile

I got mine when they came out last year as my old Epson had just died. Convenient or ironic I suppose, depends how you look at it.

Anyhow, I've found Canon's own paper to be very good. Also, Jessops heavyweight matt is excellent stuff, and not bad a price either. The Jessops glossy wasn't so good. Believe it or not, I had some Epson paper (gloss and matt) left over and they print ok too. The ilford Galerie prints ok, too, though I haven't checked lately to see if there is a specific profile. In any case, the smooth rather than the classic versions give a better looking print, as they did on my previous Epson using Epson and then Permajet ink. the classic paper had a mottled look close up.

I'm afraid I have tried numerous papers over the last couple of years or so and have a few sheets left hence the reason I've mentioned so many here! But, the manufacturers own and the two matt papers I've mentioned work well so I really stick with them.
3 May 2007 9:17PM
Thank you Kieth.

Ilford Galerie paper has profiles for the printer on their web site. I have downloaded the profiles but I havn't bought the paper yet, it is one I want try.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.