Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Which photoshop book?

Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2005 11:40AM
I have been using PS more and more recently and i have been enjoying playing with my images.

But i have got to the point where playing isn't really helping any more, can anyone suggest a good book? I had a look in PC world the other day and there was loads of them and i couldn't really make a decision.

cheers

paul
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
3 Jul 2005 12:19PM
I've got the WOW book for PS7 & I've found that fairly easy to understand, it also comes with a CD with extra plug ins for basics like red eye etc.
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
3 Jul 2005 12:28PM
After spending hundreds on books that I couldn't understand, I found this . I highly recommend it, and so does Phil Askey of dpreview. Cheers.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Jul 2005 1:34PM
Could do a lot worse and grab a copy of Pete's (Bargh) PS books at Amazon. I have his CS version and its very good; more of a 'reference' manual rather than a 'here's how'. There are plenty of general techniques here on EPZ anyway...
3 Jul 2005 2:11PM
My current preference is for 'Adobe Photoshop for Photographers' by Martin Evening (Focal Press) with editions for V7, Cs and CS2. It emphasis is on high quality image adjustments rather than special effects and it aimed for people needing to get the best output from an image, decribed as 'A professional image editors guide to the creative use of Photoshop'.

Also recommended is 'The Photoshop CS2 Book for digital photographers'(and editions for V7 & CS too) by Scott Kelby, its more aimed at the average user but still very well written and informative.

David
pikey 17 861
3 Jul 2005 2:13PM
The Scott Kelby books on PS are pretty fine.

Not overly wordy, and step by step tutorials....
Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2005 12:42AM
Cheers for the responses, i would one book that i liked the look of. It was more of a tutorial type book, with various different ideas in it. But i can't remember what it was called.....
Kris_Dutson 18 8.2k 1 England
4 Jul 2005 12:47AM
I have Adobe's own publication 'Classroom in a book.' It's a bit dry but very straightforward and comes with images on a disk, so you can work through the tutorials using the same images as they do.

I also have the Scott Kelby books which taught me the tricks of the trade.

Kris.
tezza 17 569 United Kingdom
4 Jul 2005 3:35AM
I initially browsed and worked my way through a couple of official Adobe PS books. Looking back though, I have learnt the most about PS from generally using the programme and trying out the options and then referring to the manuals if I don't understand something. Reading photo magazines and trying out things they mention also gives you some good tips as well.

As for a book, here's another vote for Scott Kelby. I bought 'The photoshop book for digital photographers by Scott Kelby' from Amazon and is a good book if you:

1. want a book that is well written and is easy to understand

2. Want a book that you can refer to on a regular basis and have a particular problem or idea in mind.

Terry
tezza 17 569 United Kingdom
5 Jul 2005 4:30AM
As a separate comment (and the start of a new question to be found here) , but after using various versions of PS for a while now, I find more and more that I can do 95%+ of my PS work with PS LE. It loads quickly; has less menu items to plough through. So thinking about it, maybe the main reason people find full versions of PS so overwhelming for such a long time is because it can do too much!? So maybe a look at books for PS LE might be more suitable for a beginner?

Terry

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.