Save 10% On Pictar Home Studio Pro Photography Kits With Code: EPHOTOZINE10

Which picture you'd wish to have taken better?

pablophotographer 8 1.5k 373
10 Apr 2020 2:22PM
As many of the photographers born during the analogue (or film) era, I go by this "economy" value, this reluctance to "waste" a frame for something less than good enough. Sir Don McCullin, during a trip to Kolkata on his interview to Canon, describes it as "reverence to film". We are "stingy" in his words. One take. Next subject.

Recently I thought of writing on my blog about Nikon cameras and my life history with some of them. My first digital picture was taken with a loaned Nikon pocket camera of 5.1MP. I pressed the shutter release button with the finger memory of years of SRL use. The result? it looked alright in the tiny screen at the back but when seen in large it was... Shaken!!!

The worst part? It was not the only one! As I uploaded a picture of a subject in today's competition of woodland, for which I was proud, I realised it was flawed. Years since I've shot it I can't realise is the issue of shake is purely technical or conceptually and intentionally correct. Doesn't a fallen tree cry from pain and shake like an aching man? Wouldn't a sheep come to comfort him?

Here it is and yes, if the tree is still there or I am still here after Covid-19 I want to shoot it as accurately and sharply as I think (now) it desrves.

What's yours?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

altitude50 15 18.3k United Kingdom
10 Apr 2020 2:33PM
The first 'serious' photo that I remember taking was on a Zeiss Ikonta 16 exposures on 127 film folding camera.
(I still have the negative - about 64 years later. Excuse the fingerprint!)
This was of a tree on the Surrey/West Sussex border.
I went back to take another picture of the tree, either because I was using colour film or a better camera, possibly 3 or 4 years later.
The tree wasn't there, somebody had cut it down.
21670_1586525559.jpg
11 Apr 2020 3:18PM
All of them....
peterjones 18 5.0k 1 United Kingdom
12 Apr 2020 1:25PM
Ditto: every single picture I have ever taken and then some.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.