Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Which Portable storage device?

Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
13 May 2005 6:17AM
Right i'm going on a 8 week trip to the States, Oz and New Zealand, and i'm just wondering what portable storage devices people have used and what they would recommend?

Cost is not really that much of a problem, but i don't want to spend any more than 300.

As i don't fancy taking my laptop, due to already having to take climbing and kayaking kit with me, and space been abit of an issue.
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
13 May 2005 6:24AM

Quote:Cost is not really that much of a problem, but i don't want to spend any more than 300.

Grin

Well assuming that you can stretch just over the 300 mark go for a phototainer and a spare battery. You should be able to get a 40GB one if you look around for about that. The 60GB iPod photo is going to be more like 370.

Personally I would say laptop - I sold my small device - battery power and transfer speeds just didn't cut the mustard...can understand why you wouldn't want to but there really isn't much it.....then you can buy another 4 1GB cards with the 300 and save yourself the hassle of continually backing up.

Mike
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
13 May 2005 6:24AM
Flashtrax Smartdisk. 20gb, well under 300, built in CF reader, supports raw formats and plays MP3 very well if you want it to. Battery life is reasonable as long as you isolate the battery terminals with a bit of paper when it is not in use.

Ian
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
13 May 2005 6:25AM
Flashtrax smartdisk = Phototainer (same device - different badging)

Mike
13 May 2005 6:26AM
Yeh I know, simultaneous postings.
kit-monster 17 3.7k 2 Singapore
13 May 2005 6:29AM
For 300 I'd buy 4x2GB CF cards in the states. Review and delete as you go along and when you're in a city, go to a camera shop and get them burnt to CD.

I've used storage devices and they are ok but slow and batteries / charging can be a pain. I've now switched to big cards.
13 May 2005 6:34AM
Depends upon whether you have access to a power socket every few days. I have enough cards to (normally) last me a day, so I copy them while I'm relaxing in the evening. If I need more space during the day I copy a card while I'm having a brew. No problem either way.

Each to their own though.

Ian
UserDeleted 18 3.6k
13 May 2005 6:35AM
Personally I wouldn't delete anything from a CF card based on what I can see on the screen of a camera or a flashtrax. There simply isn't enough detail to make a decision unless you really screwed up and took a picture of your foot accidentally.

Buy your cards - take the laptop and some DVD-R's/CD-R's - you can edit images on a better screen, caption and back them up yourself. Oh and can watch movies on the laptop as well ! (assuming you have a DVD drive)

Mike
13 May 2005 6:36AM
Interesting - I frequently delete based on histogram or composition. But then I don't get everything right first time.
Beardy 16 79 United Kingdom
13 May 2005 6:42AM
cheers for your response's, i will have a look at the different devices mentioned.

i would prefer to take my laptop, but the space that i have aviable is the limiting factor. I'm going to Brazil next summer, and i certainly know that i will be away from a power source for a while at least two weeks, i would guess.

The question is how long the batteries last in the storage devices? or i may have to go for the extra cards.
13 May 2005 6:42AM
I only delete once I can see them on the PC. I use the histogram to tell me if I need to use different settings but I don't have the courage to delete based upon it.

Ian
ahollowa 17 1.1k England
13 May 2005 6:43AM

Quote:If I need more space during the day I copy a card while I'm having a brew. No problem either way.

Each to their own though.

I find I can drink a cold bottle of beer in the time a 1Gb card down loads to my image tank

Indeed as you say each to their own Smile)

cheers

Al.
13 May 2005 6:48AM
That's exactly why I use portable storage Al. :0)
13 May 2005 6:49AM
The last device I used was an X-Drive II. It took 4 1/2 mins for a 512K card. I could copy 4 or 5 before the battery light started flashing. I bought a new higher capacity battery and could stretch to 6. Now I'm using 2GB cards, I can copy one card - it takes about 20 minutes, and that's it. I still use it on car based trips as it has a cigarette charger.
UserRemoved 16 6.2k 1
13 May 2005 6:54AM
Archos + external battery pack (Powerunner), 3 week trek, sorted!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.