Find Out What's Happening At The Photography Show 2021

Which Ring Flash for Tamron 90mm macro lens??

Mstphoto 13 239 1 Scotland
12 Jan 2011 4:55PM
Wondering if anyone could help me.
I want to get a Ring Flash to fit my Tamron 90.
I have looked at the Canon MR14 but it wont fit coz its for 52 & 57mm filter thread - The Tamron is 55mm.
My next choice was Metz but it works wirelessly with cameras with built in flash - I have a 5D2 and 1D3 neither have built in flash.
Thinking perhaps I'll sell my Tamron and buy the new Canon 100 macro.
Any other suggestions?
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
12 Jan 2011 5:08PM
Don't be put off by fittings even if you cannot buy correct size rings you can buy step up or step down rings. The first number is the size on your lens the second is the size on the accessory you want to attach. So in your example you could connect a step down from 55-52mm and then the Canon would fit with its 52mm adaptor
Other ring flash to consider include used Cobra/Centon/Vivitar/Starblitz model that's about 20-60 depending on condition and seller. You could also use a ringflash adaptor on a normal bounce head gun and then have a ring flash and normal flash.
There's a decent Marumi knocking around now too. Also check out Sunpak they produce a decent gun and have some older mechanical ones floating around on eBay.
12 Jan 2011 7:04PM
Thanks Pete
I don't know why, but I'd never thought of a step down ring.
Would it be better to step up to 58 or down to 52? I was thinking that stepping down may cause vignetting - or would it??
I'll certainly look at your other suggestions.

Thanks again
Mike
Pete 20 18.8k 97 England
12 Jan 2011 7:09PM
Stepping up us usually the best way but with macro you're often using longer lenses so there's often no vignetting as you're shooting with a lens that has a narrower viewing angle
13 Jan 2011 10:45AM
Thanks once again, Pete
I think thats me sorted now.

Many Thanks
Mike

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.