Turn Your Old Camera Into Cash With An Instant Quote From MPB

Which shoulder bag?

NikonNovice 13 107 1 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2014 3:40PM
I currently have a Lowepro backpack and a sling and am thinking of getting a shoulder bag as I often shuffle along beaches and am getting sick of zipping up before picking up. I have a D7100, 24-70, 18-105, 50 prime, 10-20, 70-300, lots of filters and adapter rings, flash, need to carry a drink and nibbles and possibly a tripod (though I dont mind carrying it over my shoulder) for shortish distances. I probably wont take more than 2 or three lenses at a time and would prefer it to be weatherproof though not essential. I was thinking of a Lowepro nova 190AW or 200AW or a Tamrac system 6 or 3. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

pink Plus
17 6.5k 8 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2014 3:56PM
I use a Lowepro Magnum, its quite a big bag but carries really well off the shoulder and has 2 end bags you can unclip if you dont need them,the front zipped section is great for filters, i can get about 12 Lee filters plus holders and polarisers etc in it, it has a full waterproof cover as well. Its a great bag and I would recommend it.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
3 Jan 2014 4:22PM
first i would ask why take so much gear out ? do you really need it all .
3 Jan 2014 5:37PM
I will usually only take tripod, camera with lens attached, extra 1 or 2 lenses, filters/ adapter rings, drink and a snack plus the usual mobile/keys.
randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
3 Jan 2014 5:39PM
Your body will thank you if you limit the gear you carry in a shoulder bag. It's also smart to keep it small and discreet where possible. I use a black Billingham Hadley pro, mostly because it's about as small a bag as you can use a d still carry an A4 sketchbook. It can take a body and 2-4 lenses in there with a few bits and bobs in the front pockets. Ithere are optional AVEA pouches that attach to the ends if you need them, I plan to add one for a flash soon.

One other nice thing about Billingham bags is that, if you don't abuse them they hold value. When I bought the Hadley I eBayed my 12 year old Packington and got as much as I'd originally paid for it!!
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
3 Jan 2014 5:49PM
i used to use a billingham bag but i out grew it so sold it . but i have just bought a new one a Billingham Hadley Digital camera bag which i use with my 6D 24/105 small flash & room for filters & spare battery. a great little bag Wink
3 Jan 2014 6:23PM
Although I swear by my Crumpler Daily 650, which I've used every single day for my photojournalism work for the past seven years, it sounds like you might be better off with a backpack. Backpacks (if they designed to take a tripod!) are better at taking a tripod and are more comfortable to walk with because of weight balance. The benefit of shoulder bags is ease of access if you spend all day reaching for and putting back your kit.

As Randomrubble points out above, take as little as you can get away with - your back will thank you in the long run!

Nearly all proper camera bags are so well made that you will also be able to save s by going second hand (Billinghams and Crumplers, for example, should last decades)
3 Jan 2014 7:28PM
I already have a backpack for the mountains, a sling for a cycle or walk but if I am going to a specific area I want to take only my essential stuff and spend my time moving around it taking certain shots. This usually means changing between nd filters, polarizers, changing lenses and then moving further on and repeating the process. This is why I fancy a shoulder bag for ease of access and the ability to set it down and pick it up without having to constantly use a zip/strap. I only take landscape shots and a lot of my beach stuff is not very far from the car. I will swap between my bags beforehand depending on the day I plan.
3 Jan 2014 9:43PM
My favourite is the Think Tank - "retrospective 30" a shoulder bag with long strap and short one for easy grabbing.

Swallows an incredible amount of gear (check some youtube entries to see what some people can bury in it..)

Two large front pockets - each big enough for a Lee filter wallet or two - (which are actually useable pockets and not just a piece of canvas stitched onto the outside that you can't actually get your hand in to...)

generous fold over top flap and the whole thing not looking too much like a camera bag - which, nice as they are, Billinghams do, to me anyway..nothing against them, I have a black one but doesn't hold much at all - it's a smaller model before anyone jumps on me...!
kaybee 16 7.2k 26 Scotland
4 Jan 2014 8:50AM
I have just taken possession of a Kata Orbit messenger bag from WEX (33 incl postage) which will take all the gear you list (if you really want).
It also falls within the 'carry on' bag size for most airlines apparently.
Gaucho 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 12:28PM
I find the Pro Messenger AW from Lowepro to be very good, if a bit expensive.
4 Jan 2014 2:46PM
It seems I am spoilt for choice now. I definately will be carrying minimal gear but this would include at least one spare lens. I have looked at all of the above and will try to narrow it down a bit over the next week or so. I may be leaning towards a messenger type bag.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
4 Jan 2014 3:18PM
that pro messenger looks good , but if you have a lens on it looks like you can't get the other lens's in there. shame that. the thing is there is not a bag that fits all your needs . i have five bags !
Gaucho 18 2.8k 2 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 3:24PM
Colin there are three different sizes of the Pro Messenger. I have the 160 and use it for general walking about. It will hold my d7000 with 70-300 attached and two other lenses on either side quite easily. My rucksack I now keep for longer hikes.
colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
4 Jan 2014 3:52PM
i am looking i do like lowepro bags Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.