Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Which shoulder bag?

GlennH 15 1.9k 1 France
4 Jan 2014 3:55PM
I can recommend the Domke F2 , though it has a particularly no-thrills design with less padding than many bags. I've used one for two years, and expect it to last for a few more yet.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

colin beeley Plus
17 1.2k 10 England
4 Jan 2014 4:12PM
like i say there is no one bag fits all , i have lowepro pro roller x 200 for taking on holiday , two flipside 300 xz, a top loader pro a75 , other ones for lens's now a billingham hadley & a domke f-300 longlens bag . the mrs says how many bags do you bloody need !
NikonNovice 13 107 1 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 5:06PM
Colin this would be bag number three, Gaucho I also will take the rucksack for longer hikes and the sling for inbetweeners. I intend to use this for a wee session on a beach, waterfall, park or tour type thing so its not a carry all for all day soloution. Its fast easy access and reasonable carrying ability over shortish distances with maybe a bit of weatherproofing thrown in. I took the sling out to a park this afternoon with the wife and kids and although I only took the camera out three times I ended up carrying it around my neck for handyness thinking a messenger is the way to go for now. I appreciate the feedback from everyone as there are a bewildering number of options out there.
randomrubble 15 3.0k 12 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2014 5:38PM
Just returning to this as I forgot another key plus for the Hadley Pro. I'm on a short break in Ghent and I've been using the Hadley all day, every day, and the I've remembered how useful the grab handle on to is. Incedentally, the bag is carrying a NEX-6, 16-50 kit zoom and a C/Y adapter with Zeiss 28/2.8, 50/1.4 & 85/1.4 primes, a Tamron 17mm and an Olympus Trip bought in a Flea market on Friday.
5 Jan 2014 11:24AM
I have it down to the Think tank retrospective 7 / Lowepro messenger pro 160AW for a messenger or Tamrac system 3/6 and a Lowepro Nova 180/190 for a bag. I am leaning towards messenger as it would be more descrete and as I said I can carry the tripod over my shoulder for these short distances. I hope to order this week so will keep studying reviews and this thread.
5 Jan 2014 5:30PM
I have the Tamrac System 6.
I would recommend this. Plenty storage space, nice wide shoulder strap, adjustable carrying height (I have mine set at the top, where I can rest my forearm on the bag which gives me security from others trying to pilfer from the bag)
It doesn't weigh too heavy on my shoulder after a couple of hours, but if it did, it does have a nice grab carry handle as well.
Only complaint is, the tripod carrying straps are too short and with a tripod attatched, manoeuvring through doors etc becomes a "challenge".
Compatible with other Tamrac stuff.
The "US Patented red little flippy flappy things" which you can use to identify flat or fully charged batteries, are extremely simple, but...... extremely, extremely useful. When you get home, can you ever remember which set of batteries needs charging?
7 Jan 2014 6:45PM
Thanks to all for the advice. I finally ordered a Retrospective 7 to be my day to day bag. I will post an update when it arrives and I have used it a while.
7 Jan 2014 11:22PM
Good choice (being biased..Wink ) don't think you'll have any problems with robustness and quality - hope it's the right size for your needs..
It's probably reasonably water-resistant but my first obsessive task was to spay it thoroughly with Nik-Wax (as I use this for motorbike jacket anyway..).
16 Jan 2014 3:43AM
To myself, I don't the too pro-like camera bags. I'm using a canvas bag called Koolertron F1002 from a chinese seller. Not bad product. You may don't like this kind of style bag.
JHFoto5 6 39 England
22 Jan 2014 4:19PM
Amazon do a sling bag for 19.99, anyone own one...?
Paul Morgan 19 19.4k 6 England
22 Jan 2014 9:32PM
Thinktank do a nice range, there not cheap, but there well built.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/shoulder-bags/retrospective.aspx
22 Jan 2014 11:44PM
JHFoto I have a sling from Lowepro and while its great for a walkabout it is not great if you need access to filters/ lenses etc as the camera must be removed to get at the rest of your gear. Unless you want to set the bag down and open it up all the way which defeats the purpose of a sling bag. I have had the Think Tank Retrospective 7 out a few times now and must say I am very impressed. It does not scream CAMERA but still carries pretty much all my gear if I want to bring it all. It is very comfortable on the shoulder and feels lighter than my Lowepro sling even though I carry more in it. Access to my stuff is so much easier and faster and although it will be another two weeks before I take it for an all day session I thing I have the ideal bag for my needs at present. I did close the velcro silencers about 3/4 to make access gentler as it is very strong velcro. Both my Lowepro sling and Lowepro rucksack are lying dormant for the time being.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.