Which Sony - any ideas?

vetcameraman 15 145 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 1:27AM
I think that if you look at the images on the DPReview referred to as RAW and JPEG using the selecting a square of image and the top left RAW/JPEG selector, the A900 gives a better RAW image, but the Sony processing cleans up the JPEG very well for the A77.

Picking the Kodak emblem above the watch on the test shot shows how much noise is present on the A77 RAW file compared with the A900, but how well this cleans up when processed and viewed as the JPEG option. As long as the image cleans up well, how many of us spend our days viewing RAW files as the last cut of the image. As someone still using a KM Dimage A2, I think I know a little about RAW and JPEG noise! I find the EVF has its uses and limitations, while someone I know had to stop using their A2 as they simply couldn't move from Minolta film camera OVFs to the A2 EVF even with its higher resolution at the time.

I suppose the usual advice of see if you like the handling of the camera, and then see if you can upload images to computer for comparison might be best advise, depending on if you can still find a high street shop selling cameras where you can do a trial run.

Martin

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

strawman 15 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
2 Jul 2012 9:58AM
Hi Martin that is basically what I was observing re the images, but while they clean up with the noise filtering it is at the expense of detail such that you are performing a trade of of noise V's resolution. The A900 image retains more detail for equal noise could be a conclusion but the the A900 costs a lot more so its not unreasonable the user could expect more. Some users might decide that the lower cost and different body features are more than enough compensation. But then you could also drop to the 16mp models
ShaunsPics 8 87 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2012 5:08PM
anybody got the feeling stepenwolf is a sony rep trying to promote sony cameras funny how hes no pictures to back up his claims.
mdpontin 15 6.0k Scotland
15 Aug 2012 5:35PM
Any reason why he has to have "pictures to back up his claims"?
IFIMAGE 11 143 Wales
22 Aug 2012 9:41PM
I used a Sony A300 for 3 years, still my backup body but now I use the A580 and it's like night and day compared to the A300, better for high iso, colour, performance, 7fps, all good and an IR wireless remote 3.00 on Ebay..Wink
Scottelly 7 35 United States
23 Aug 2012 1:04AM
You have no interest in live view? That's because you haven't used a Sony A55 or something like it. Get a Sony A65. It is the ultimate landscape photographer's camera on a budget. I shoot with an A55, and I plan to upgrade to the A65 in a month or two.

You want an optical viewfinder, right? WRONG! Once you try the A65 viewfinder, you won't want to go back to optical viewfinders. It is as good as a full-frame viewfinder, and in many ways it is better. Want to know how the photo will look BEFORE you shoot it? Get an A57 or A65. Want speed and amazing video capability? Get the A57 or A65. Want a great camera that allows you to compose unusual photos like a pro does with special equipment, but without the cost of external monitor? Get the A57 or A65. You won't regret the decision to get an A65. It is hands-down the best camera available for under $1,000.

Right now I am waiting to see what Nikon comes out with (the new D5200), because I want a D800 really bad, but I'm not going to be able to afford one for a long time, so I might move back to Nikon and start building a great lens system. There is an advantage in the Nikon system, because there is this one lens that I can get for a Nikon only, and it will not work right with an adapter on my Sony. I know, Nikon doesn't have image stabilization bult into the body. That is one reason I switched away from Nikon to Sony.

I used to be a Canon guy, with experience with multiple Canon DSLR cameras. Then I switched to the Nikon D5000, because of the fold-out screen (something that Canon did not offer at the time, and this was before Sony had the A55 on the market) and the amazing Nikon 14-24mm f2.8 G lens (which I never was able to afford).
Jestertheclown 10 8.0k 252 England
23 Aug 2012 10:08AM
Not exactly a loyalist are you . . .?
mikehit 10 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
23 Aug 2012 11:03AM
I think he's Steppenwolf in disguise Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.