Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Which speedlight?

Hi everyone - I'm pretty new to the website but hope you can help me.

I have a Nikon D5000 and want to add an external flashgun for regular portrait style shots. Any recommendations please. Also any recommendations for a fixed focal length lens (if thats the right terminology) for portraits/group shots?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

StrayCat Plus
11 17.0k 3 Canada
29 Jan 2011 5:54AM
I don't know anything about portraits/group shot lighting, but I had a Nikon SB600 for 4 years, and would get another now if I was still with Nikon. The 800 is very popular with enthusiasts and pros, and I'll wager the new 700 is going to popular as well.
User_Removed 5 4.6k 1 Scotland
29 Jan 2011 10:52AM
I use an SB600 and am very pleased with it.

Having said that, most of the magazine gurus seem to recommend the Nissin range of speedlights as giving a better performance for price ratio and they are all available for the Nikon.
cameracat 11 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
29 Jan 2011 1:04PM
A decent Nikon SB-800 will serve you well, I have had mine since they where first introduced, It has done a lot of work and still never misses a shot, In fact its so good I was not tempted to replace it with the newer more expensive SB-900, Nice though it might be, The upgrade if you could call it that, Did not offer any significant improvements over the SB-800.....Grin Just a shiny new toy....Smile)))

Maybe the SB-1000 will, If and or when they appear....Wink
BigRick 10 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
29 Jan 2011 5:25PM
for the budget concious, then two SB-600, or for unlimited cash, then two SB-900 with two softboxes.
Thanks for your replies everyone much appreciated.
sitav 5 4
3 Feb 2011 10:25PM
I'd recommend the Nissin Di866, much cheaper than a Nikon speedlight with many of the same features... check it out!
5 Feb 2011 12:52PM
I agree with sitav. I attended a lighting workshop at Damian McGillicuddy's studio last saturday. He used these and the results were most impressive. I've just ordered two myself and already own an SB-800.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.