Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

USA Landscape Photographer of the Year 2016 open to entries NOW!

Which tele zoom on the D800?

thewilliam 8 5.8k
21 Jul 2012 11:35AM
The 18-55DX is a great little lens and, optically, it's far better than we're entitled to get for the price. The mechanics leave a bit to be desired but then we get what we pay for.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 6 4.6k 1 Scotland
21 Jul 2012 8:51PM

Quote:The 18-55DX is a great little lens and, optically, it's far better than we're entitled to get for the price. The mechanics leave a bit to be desired but then we get what we pay for.

William,

Why are you recommending a DX lens for an FX camera?
woodworth 4 25 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 6:00PM
Currently I'm considering the Nikon 80-200/2.8 AFD (the second to last two touch version) as a possible solution as it isn't as big as the 70-200/2.8 and a second hand one is usually in the 500-600 area which suits me perfectly. The lack of VR maybe an issue, I'm not sure.
peterjones Plus
14 4.5k 1 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 6:21PM
Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the D800 auto-deliver a cropped sensor if a DX lens is used to the tune of about 18Mpx? I am not suggesting a DX lens should be used with a D800 but if needs must?

There is some credence to the suggestion that camera shake will show up more on a sensor with more pixels than a lesser sensor presumably because the shake is effecting more pixels pro rata though in my own experience the difference is marginal; I suspect I will save up my pennies and buy a D800 at some stage and as usual probably NOT use a tripod Sad Sad and I will see for myself.

In the end test results, other people's invaluable experiences and opinions notwithstanding it is up to the individual to examine his/her results at 100% and compare lenses cheap and cheerful or rare, expensive, sexy and desirable, the results can be quite startling. Just as an example only and not to wander off at a tangent I am amazed at the quality of image exhibited by old Nikon manual lenses.

Peter.
woodworth 4 25 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2012 8:18PM
The 18-55 DX lens is a complete red herring, so please lets get away from it. The op was about a tele zoom for a D800, I think thewilliam either posted in the wrong topic or has a sense of humour and is teasing us! Wink
peterjones Plus
14 4.5k 1 United Kingdom
28 Jul 2012 12:55PM
Lets really analyse the 18-55, so much fun GrinGrin
thewilliam 8 5.8k
28 Jul 2012 6:30PM
I'm not sure how that comment about the 18-55 came to be in this thread.

While on the subject of DX vs FX, one colleague frequently uses DX lenses on her D800 because the auto-crop gives a more manageable file size! She hadn't understood the full implications of file sizes that were 3 times bigger than she'd been used to handling: like needing to buy a more powerful computer.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.