Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Which Website?

JamesGarfield 12 915 4 United Kingdom
13 Jun 2011 10:28PM
Hi Everyone

My current website subscription is coming to an end soon and I was thinking of changing to a new one. I am currently with Clickpic & now feel that it is too limited when it comes to image dispay etc. I've looked at foliopic and it doesn't really grab me either. I have been trialling a Creative Motion Design site today as I really do like flash based sites as they really seem to display the images really well but the truth is I seem to be running into many problems with it with errors and functionality and am not sure whther I shall continue with it. Is anyone using a flash based website provider they can resommend please?

Thanks
James
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
13 Jun 2011 10:40PM
Hi James,

Looking at your current (soon to be ex-) website, I reckon you could get close to replicating that using Google sites.
If that's what you want of course.
I suppose it depends how much you like/trust/hate Google but their sites are free and can be as attractive as you want to make them and you can include links and slideshows.

Just a thought.

Jester.
13 Jun 2011 10:44PM
Have you looked at Photium? My website, which you can visit via here, will give you a flavour of its potential. Alternatively get a copy of Advanced Photographer-they do a review of several photo website companies in the latest edition which might help you make up your mind.
13 Jun 2011 10:50PM
Thanks to both of you, I'm very open minded at the moment as I thought CMD was going to be the one. I've tried looking at your website chrelen and can't get it to load?
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
13 Jun 2011 11:06PM

Quote:I've tried looking at your website chrelen and can't get it to load

Works super fine on Win 7 64bit " IE9 " .....Smile Loads real fast too......Grin

If your having issues with websites, You may want to find out if the problem is your computer setup, Or you will not be getting a fair idea of what works and what does not.....!!!

Wink
monkeygrip 12 574 6 England
13 Jun 2011 11:11PM
I use photium simple and effective looks good easy to update perfect for a working photographer.

I find flash sites no matter how fast they load with wistful crap music tinkling away very tedious.

A lot of my customers have commented on the site as the majority just want to get on fast look at some images and flick through them as fast as they like each to their own I guess but put it this way if in the future I decide to build and maintain my own site I hope photiums copyright lawyers dont ever see it I could be in trouble lol.
jimthistle73 17 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 12:59AM
Another vote for Photium. Constant improvements, great user (numpty) interface, support is second to absolutely none (important for numpties like myself) and if you take 20 minutes to play with the customisable templates, your site really will look quite unique!

Also very important is the SEO (search engine optimisation) facility. I set up a new Photium website offering dog portraiture recently and was on page one of Google within two days using my chosen keywords.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
14 Jun 2011 1:06AM
And Photium is run by a former EPZer. How can you go wrong? Smile

Have to admit, though, I still use jAlbum for my (very) simple needs. blush-dark.jpg
jimthistle73 17 2.4k 1 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 1:11AM
And you can have a photography website free trial too which can't be bad... Wink
14 Jun 2011 8:56AM
Thanks for all your suggestions so far. I'm using win 7 and IE9 and am finding Photium home page slow to load although have now seen chrelens site. I was looking at flash based sites purely because the images seem to be displayed that much better, clearer, must be something to do with the coding?
Jestertheclown 12 8.4k 253 England
14 Jun 2011 9:14AM

Quote:the images seem to be displayed that much better, clearer,

I'd agree with that.

I've always displayed images on my site as slideshows because, at the time, I thought it was a good idea but I've never really been happy with them.
The images display and move on too quickly and there was no way to change it so I've got rid of them and uploaded the same images as well, images and whilst they're not very big, they are really well reproduced. Much better than the slideshow versions were.

Jester.
whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 9:42AM
Another vote for Photium from me. I'm on my 5th year with it now & again, customers say they like the ease of use & so do I Smile
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 9:59AM

Quote:I was looking at flash based sites purely because the images seem to be displayed that much better, clearer, must be something to do with the coding?

I'd disagree with that. Flash is more likely to rescale and / or recompress your images.

Flash causes problems for smartphones, tablets like the iPad, netbooks etc which won't or can't run Flash. As more and more people get those less will see your whizzy Flash slideshow.

Photium websites might have a lot of templates but you can usually spot them a mile off. How much time have you spent evaluating Foliopic?
14 Jun 2011 10:12AM

Quote:Flash causes problems for smartphones, tablets like the iPad, netbooks etc which won't or can't run Flash. As more and more people get those less will see your whizzy Flash slideshow.

The CMD sites come complete with a flash site, a site for Ipads and a site for phones etc all in one and all customisable so on the splash page you can choose where to go depending on what you're viewing the site with so that problem should be solved.

I don't know anything about programming or coding but for some reason pictures that are shown on flash sites seem to have greater clarity impo, they also seem to almost have a gloss to them if that makes any sense at all??

I've looked at lots of EPZers websites, Foliopic, Photium have also gone to the main sales pages and they're better that clickpic but just not what I'm looking for, I will quickly add that I'm not in anyway suggesting the work/content wasn't anygood but I found the layouts, image sizes etc very similar to what I have already have and if I'm going to go through the heave ho of changing i really want something a little different. I have a vision in mind for what I want to achieve, it's difficult to get that across on here but I think flash will provide what i'm looking for.
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
14 Jun 2011 10:17AM
I have not got a clue about websites but cames across this one yesterday whilst reading a forum topic elsewhere.

SQUARESPACE

It appears to be quite well received, so perhaps worth checking it out.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.