50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Which Website?

lobsterboy Plus
17 14.9k 13 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 12:25PM
Personally I would steer well clear of flash. It always seems to me like a technology designed to put people off viewing your images..as they usually have to wait around for the blooming things to actually load.

Quote:I have already have and if I'm going to go through the heave ho of changing i really want something a little different.

Depends how diferent you want to go - generally on the web being different is not a very good idea.
People want to see your images quickly, find stuff that they are looking for and get out of there - they really are not going to spend ages learning some weird & wonderfull navigation
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 12:31PM
The point I'm making James is that choosing a new website because it uses Flash isn't a good enough reason in my opinion as a lot of your visitors won't be able to ever see the Flash.

Quote:for some reason pictures that are shown on flash sites seem to have greater clarity impo, they also seem to almost have a gloss to them if that makes any sense at all??

no it doesn't make any sense, whether you display a bitmap image using HTML or you use Flash the image will be the same, but I'm willing to change my mind, have you got a link to an example?
JamesGarfield 12 915 4 United Kingdom
14 Jun 2011 1:02PM
Perhaps I'm mising what you're saying Chris, the flash site will be visible to those that can see it, anyone who can't view flash will still be able to view the content of the site in the usual way, thats something I'm happy to settle for. I'll find some examples for you, give me a min.
14 Jun 2011 1:22PM
Ok, here is an example of a flash website Here , go into the "Still" gallery and choose "beauty". The images are amazingly clear and have a sort of magazine gloss to them.
14 Jun 2011 1:40PM
The magazine gloss isn't due to Flash, they are well-taken and beautifully lit photographs. The jpegs (as expected) look the same. There's a mobile version of the site here http://www.dripbook.com/sites/timothyhogan/22213/m/ but the images are smaller. There's also a version here http://www.dripbook.com/timothyhogan/book/beauty/ (this time smaller images and a white background).

I've done a screengrab of part of an image to illustrate that point but it's going to get recompressed by epz (I've already recompressed when I saved the screengrab)

14-06-2011-13-30-51.jpg

I think it's simply large images on a black background that makes them look good. Flash simply can't give them a gloss
14 Jun 2011 1:45PM
I don't know what it is then but the effect seems more prominent on the flash sites that I've viewed, regardless of background colours, for me it just seems the way to go.
14 Jun 2011 1:56PM
I'll try to explain where I'm coming from. A lot of effects that previously needed Flash can now be done without using it. It's a technology that is on the way out. If I was building a site I'd build it in HTML5 which would work for all devices. They'd all see the same slideshow, whether iPad or iMac. There are other reasons to avoid Flash (have a look here ). There aren't any good reasons to use it.

Some web developers really like it and push it because (to borrow a phrase) Flash does the hard work so they don't have to.
14 Jun 2011 2:43PM
Ok, that all makes good sense, so really I need to be looking for a package that uses HTML5 (having just read some of the bits on the link you posted), this looks quite good HERE but haven't looked at the price yet. I will just quickly add that again the image display is really really clear or am I going mental, actually please don't answer that! Grin
Mjhearne 14 432 4 Scotland
14 Jun 2011 3:01PM
I use 2 websites.

Try qufoto.com or photobiz.com

I couldnt recommend them enough!
14 Jun 2011 4:02PM
James, yes, that site you linked to does it without Flash and will look the same on tablets, like the iPad, as it looks on a PC. So definitely worth considering.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.