Which would you choose?

trivets12 14 1.3k
12 Jan 2018 6:10PM
Please choose from the following options -
1. Sell old Canon 6d and use the dosh to buy the Siggy 50mm 1.4 dg hsm for portraits
2. Sell old Canon 6 d AND canon 24-105 f4 IS and buy the Canon 24-70 f2.8 for portraits
Ta,
Trudy

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Euan65 Plus
1 316 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2018 6:21PM
If you're selling the 6D, what camera will you be using for the portraits? Another full-frame, or APS-C?

My favourite portrait lens is the Canon 85/1.8. It's not expensive and it does give good results. 50mm is, IMO, usually but not always a bit short for portraits. If I HAD to pick one, I'd go for your option 2, but i think there are better choices available.
trivets12 14 1.3k
12 Jan 2018 6:42PM
Hi, Iíll be using it on another full frame dslr,
Trudy
Chris_L Plus
4 4.8k United Kingdom
12 Jan 2018 10:09PM
Get the 50 Art prime. You will get a total wow factor that you won't get from the 24-70. You will be forced into making better composition decisions instead of zooming. Upgrade the 24-105 next year.

Good 1.4 lenses are magical. I can't afford one at the minute, I sold my Samyang 85mm 1.4 because I wanted autofocus, and got 1.8 lenses instead. 55 and 85, they are still great, like the 85mm focal length but wish they were 1.4. When you nail focus at 1.4 the result simply pops, it's magical to look at.
Dave_Canon 12 1.4k United Kingdom
13 Jan 2018 10:56AM
If it were me, I would never get rid of the 24-105mm f4 as this is my most used lens. However, I do take most subjects from landscape, sport, street, studio portraits, architecture, travel, creative, nature, still life etc. While sport normally requires my longer lens and Nature a long lens or Macro, most other shots are taken with the 24-105 (almost 80% of my total). I actually do not like portraits taken with a very small aperture as this can result in eyes in focus but tip of the nose and some of the hair out of focus. Most photographers I have worked with in a studio (including professionals) tend to use about f8 so I have no need for these "portrait" lenses. Also to achieve variation we also take some shots with a long lens which can be more flattering. Of course, you may want the background out of focus but this is easy to achieve in a large studio even at f8. I do not have any lens faster than f2.8 myself but the main value I would see in a faster lens would be for low light but with the 5D4 I use being low noise, there is no real need for very fast lenses.

I should emphasise that I am not making a recommendation for anyone else as I do not know your circumstances or what you are trying to achieve but the question was "What would you do?

p.s. I did trade in my 24-105mm recently but to upgrade to a 24-105mm Mk ii

Dave
thewilliam2 1 983
13 Jan 2018 11:21AM
Trudy, check the metadata for some of your favourite images to see how many of them were taken at full aperture. Then check your focal length selection.

Many of my mentees learned that they weren't using their existing lenses at full aperture so there wouldn't be much point in getting a new, wider aperture version. My own 100mm has been very, very rarely used wide open at f2. It was bought because it's a macro when we did a lot of baby photography. I could fill the frame with a baby's hand without stopping to fit an extension tube.

I find that 100 or 105mm is the best focal length for portraits and my 24-70mm is best for groups in the studio. The existing 24-105mm would cover both.

In these days of excellent hi-ISO performance, a wide aperture lens is only needed for very shallow DoF but our focusing technique needs to be impeccable.
trivets12 14 1.3k
13 Jan 2018 4:06PM
Thanks for your responses!
T
Paul Morgan 17 19.2k 6 England
13 Jan 2018 8:53PM
A cheap as chips 50 and a 135 f2, I always loved that focal length, its just about all I miss about Canon although for portraits I`ve never believed in the so call magical portrait focal length (this does not exist we are all different) just get what works for you.
thewilliam2 1 983
14 Jan 2018 12:06PM
Forgive me but, never having used Canon, what's wrong with a 6D? Or is it just worn out?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.