White Paint Advice

Georgias_Dad 14 60 England
20 Nov 2008 7:18PM
Hi I have a small studio in my garden all the walls and the ceiling are Dulux B/White and the floor has been up until now has been Oak Laminate.

I have just acquired some sheets of MDF to cover the floor and paint white so I can do the whole Hi-key photo thing.

My question is what paint on the floor I've put white primer on the MDF to seal it but what next?

Many Thanks

Michael
lighty 19 223 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2008 8:35PM
If you are painting MDF then you really should use an MDF primer (will go on top of an ordinary primer) the reason for this is that normal primer undercoats just don't have the opacity to cover the MDF in one or two coats, it will cover eventually if you apply multiple coats though.
You can get special floor paint which is supposed to stand up to wear from a lot of traffic on it but it does'nt!

The best that I would suggest is B&Q EVERYWHERE it dries quickly and comes up very hard in about a week of curing (hard enough to walk on in a couple of hours) marks are easily wiped off and it can be quickly recoated if needed as it goes on like emulsion, so you can use a roller.
If you have never used this paint before then you may be in for a surprise, it could be the best emulsion for your walls and ceiling as it does'nt atrack dirt like normal emulsions so it stays clean longer.
It can be used as an emulsion or topcoat for your woodwork in Mat or Satin.

hope this helps you
lighty
20 Nov 2008 8:46PM
Cheers Lighty

I have used a special primer that I had for another job, do you know if Homebase do a similar product as the nearest B&Q is 20 miles away.
KenTaylor 17 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2008 9:57PM
Homebase is fine. Most paints either acrylic,emulsion or oil based will do fine. Just remember that the higher the quality the better the opacity and wear. It will need touching up or recoating frequently being that its walked upon.
Ken
20 Nov 2008 10:06PM
Thanks Ken

I know the marks will come but a quick re-coat before a shoot won't take long and I only do it as a hobby at them moment, so I have plenty of time between shoots.

Michael
22 Nov 2008 9:14PM
Sorry,can not tell you if Homebase do a similar paint.
There are certainly many more expensive paints out there that could be used, but I would not use them and would certainly not use an oil based paint on a Floor. Believe you me B&Q Everywhere is a very good paint system for what you require.
I think that they do free deliver?

Just a thought, BourneSeal floor paint is clear and water based, perhaps you could mix a water based white paint into it to give you your white floor and homebase may sell it or a local flooring shop may stock it?

lighty
ALLENH 13 64 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2008 10:53PM
Just something that I have found out, MDF will need painting on both sides the first time arounf This will prevent it from warping after the first coat
22 Nov 2008 11:59PM
to late for that Allenh it's down

lighty I found a whole tin of Dulux B/White in the back of the shed yesterday so I've slapped that down for know I'll see how it goes then next time I'll go for the Everywhere

Once again many thanks for your advice!!!!
ALLENH 13 64 United Kingdom
23 Nov 2008 9:53PM
Oh well Georgias_Dad fingers crossed then
24 Nov 2008 1:21AM
Pleased to know that you have now got it sorted!

lighty
24 Nov 2008 9:20PM
well it's working so far heres my daughter as always glad to model for me NOT!!!

link

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.