Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Who can fly a drone?

28 Jul 2021 9:48PM
I was at my local harbour at the weekend and was out at the end of the sea wall. There were two or three families or couples in my immediate vicinity when I heard a drone passing over heading out to sea. We were joined by another family group who posed for a family photo taken from the drone which was now flying around thity feet above the pier. I wasn't unduly concerned but more interested to see the drone was being competently flown by a young lad who looked about 12-14 years of age.

I'm aware that the legislation has been tightened on pilots but was curious on a number of points and would appreciate your thoughts please:
Should the drone be allowed to be flown in the vicinity of groups of people?
Can a youngster be supervised by a registered user?
How many users have bought drones over the years without being aware of the new legislation?

I know the adjacent nature reserve does not permit drones to be flown over their land to avoid disturbing wildlife.

If you've got a drone it must be getting difficult to find suitable places to fly it/
28 Jul 2021 10:03PM
It appears that if this was a small drone then it is legal for a child of that age to fly it. In fact in this piece https://www.droneblog.com/how-old-do-kids-need-to-be-to-fly-a-drone/ they have no problems with an eight year old flying a drone. Personally, although I am way past the age of having young children, I would be more concerned than most parents seem to be by the dangers of these objects.
justin c 17 5.1k 36 England
29 Jul 2021 12:18AM
Personally I would be inclined to mind my own business unless the drone/family was harming you in some way. I don't see a problem with a young lad flying a drone whilst being supervised by his family. Sounds like they were having fun and a nice day out. It's what families do.
I shouldn't think for one minute they were remotely interested in analysing or questioning what you were doing, so why would you feel the need to question their behaviour or activities.
Each to there own I would say.
PRC 7 314 United Kingdom
29 Jul 2021 12:42AM

Quote:In fact in this piece https://www.droneblog.com/how-old-do-kids-need-to-be-to-fly-a-drone/ they have no problems with an eight year old flying a drone.

That looks like an American item; the definitive UK rules are on the CAA site at https://www.caa.co.uk/consumers/unmanned-aircraft-and-drones/
29 Jul 2021 8:11AM
I've no axe to grind on my concerns - they were enjoying themselves so fine by me. I was more curious about how the new laws were being applied and how aware some fliers were. Having found and read the UK legislation, I have most of my answers and clarified my expectations.
30 Jul 2021 2:57PM

Quote:I would be more concerned than most parents seem to be by the dangers of these objects.

What dangers?????????

Everything we do carries a certain amount of danger. It's what makes us strong and resilient.

How on earth is a kid flying a little portable drone any more dangerous than other activities that are often carried out. Riding bikes, skateboards, rollerskating, climbing trees, playing sports.

How previous generations ever lived to tell the tale I don't know, LOL, shakes head in disbelief.

Wrap us all up in cotton wool I say, just in case Wink
30 Jul 2021 5:01PM
I would anticipate any potential danger is to the innocent bystanders who are unaware of the drone until it accidently hits them. That will be why the new rules require a grasp of the potential risks and the nanny states propensity to sue for damages requires insurance for larger machines.
30 Jul 2021 10:52PM

Quote:I would anticipate any potential danger is to the innocent bystanders who are unaware of the drone until it accidently hits them. That will be why the new rules require a grasp of the potential risks and the nanny states propensity to sue for damages requires insurance for larger machines.

That explains why you need to have license to throw a frisbee on the beach
31 Jul 2021 1:13PM

I wonder how many serious injuries have occurred because of low flying drones, lol

I was going to go to the beach this afternoon but think I'll give it a miss just in case there's a chance of serious injury from any stray balls being thrown around and god forbid the wind picks up and I get a bit of sand in my eyes,lol

Perhaps a little run instead. Forget that, way too risky just in case I encounter a cyclist or an e-scooter rider out looking for potential victims, lol.

I think a gentle walk would be the safest bet. In fact, forget that idea too as there's a golf course near by and the chance of being hit and seriously injured by a golf ball is just too much of a risk.

I've got it. A lovely walk in The New Forest. No way, way too risky with all of those killer ponies on the loose just waiting to attack anyone that dares to venture out.

I think I'll be safer staying in with the phone by my side with the A&E department on speed dial just in case I spill my coffee or choke on a sandwich.

It's a dangerous old world we're living in, lol. Take care everyone who's brave enough to venture out and remember: Look once, look twice and get ready to run for your life should you see a drone heading your way.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.