Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Who first inspired you?

ajhollingbery 18 106 England
10 May 2005 6:48AM
As a photographer, who first inspired you to pick up a camera and have a go yourself?

My father was a keen club photographer and as such I had a Kodak Brownie thrust in my hands when I was about 5 or 6 years old. I have rarely been without a camera since.

However, it was seeing the pictures of Whitby (the ships, sailors and their women folk) taken by Frank Meadow Sutcliffe in the late 19th and early 20th century that first made me think about what makes a good photograph. In the early 70's I decided to learn more about this fascinating art (yes photography is an art IMHO) and joined the Fosse Camera Club in Leicester. 30 years later I am still an active member and learn a lot from the members and the modern "greats". But when inspiration starts to flag I look through my collection of Sutcliffe's and look at how he not only recorded the life of the people around him, but produced some really wonderful images.

Who inspires you?

Andy
nasmodeus 16 6
10 May 2005 6:53AM
My older sister inspired me to take up photography, being a model in hong kong until she was 30, shes had plenty of experience in the way of studio photography, being quite good at art helped I guess, started out as a fashion photographer and has now moved onto weddings (BIG WEDDINGS!) earning quite a bit of money now and a biography is being written about her and her work.

http://www.lisabphotography.com (dont think theres any of her wedding stuff on there though).
Hugeknot 16 1.2k 2 Iceland
10 May 2005 6:56AM
I first saw the northern lights when I came to Iceland last september. It was they who inspired me to pick up a camera. Since then it has collectively been members of EPZ!
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
10 May 2005 7:19AM
A lecture on Ansel Adams we had at my school photo club, or it may have been the delectable Miss Jones who ran the club darkroom - never have been entirely sure which it was.......

Kris.
LAF 18 1.7k
10 May 2005 7:46AM
First learnt to use an SLR when I was 8. My dad had bought a Pentax P30 for our hols to Barbados but it had no diopteric adjustment. Being MF, and him a glasses wearer, I read the manual (which was really good and explained DoF, shutter and everything) and ended up taking most of the pictures. I took the odd photo after that then when I was about 13 I watched a BBC learning zone night on photography. It was on for 5 hours and by the time it finished it was sunrise so I grabbed the camera (same Pentax) and went out shooting. Delighted with the results, I never looked back. Later on it was Chris Packams "Wild Shots" series (and then book) that convinced me that maybe I didn't need huge, expensive lenses to take pictures of fauna and flora so I guess Mr Packam was my first real "influence" in that respect. Nowadays I'm much more an Art Wolfe fan, though I find myself drawn to Steve Bloom's work more and more every month. Those guys are my yardstick now. For non wildlife stuff though, and it's a cliche, I like the portraiture work of David Bailey. It's a bit marmite but I love it.

Lee.
u08mcb 17 5.8k
10 May 2005 8:02AM
My parents.
ljesmith 17 1.1k United Kingdom
10 May 2005 8:17AM
Henri Cartier Bresson, and my Dad.
Fujiconvert 17 1.3k England
10 May 2005 9:30AM
My Dad.
Phil.
snapbandit 17 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
10 May 2005 9:55AM
Don Morley
keith selmes 18 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
10 May 2005 10:10AM
Still my father.

Seems to be one of those perennial topics.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.