Change gear with our partner, MPB

Who owns what on work trip abroad?

Radius12 14 3 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2008 1:23PM
I've got a trip sponsored by my work coming up soon. As part of the trip, I have to take photos. If I was to take other photos on the trip, outside my normal work hours, would I be able to claim copyright/ownership or would it stay with my work - does it make a difference if I take the images with my camera and not my work supplied kit?

Can anyone point me in the direction of some clear rules on this?
Henchard 16 2.7k 1 United Kingdom
28 Feb 2008 1:29PM
Employed photographers do not own copyright in work created `in the course of their employment’ unless they have an agreement to the contrary.

see here

so if it is not created in the course of your employment the copyright is yours.
mjsayles 15 1.0k
28 Feb 2008 3:41PM
Exactly as above, really!

Having said that, at the last place I worked (a medical research company) I was asked by the MD to take some snaps for the company website. I was only asked because it was common knowledge I was 'into photography', and it had nothing to do with my role in the company (my actual job was to purchase and fix medical equipment).

Because taking the photos was outside my responsibilities as an employee (as defined on my job spec), I was advised that I owned the copyright to the photos I took at work. It was said to be as if I was doing it on a 'favour' basis. How true that is, I'm not sure...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.