Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Who's been to Focus?

lucybear 18 173
23 Feb 2004 8:20AM
For the people who've been -

What's it like?
Was it crowded?
What was the highlight?
Did you need to take out a second mortgage to park your car and buy a ham sandwich that resembled and tasted like carpet?
niki.everson 18 20 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2004 8:53AM
The show was generally good. Too much emphasis on digital but I suppose thats the way things are going. It started busy and ended up like a sardine tin. Seeing and getting to play with the new Canon EOS 30v and Xpan 2 were my highlghts as well as getting a couple of good deals. Parking was expensive but the sandwiches weren't too bad. Will go next year as it was worth the trip I just hope they use a bigger hall!
stevenb Plus
17 281 7 England
23 Feb 2004 9:40AM
I enjoyed it, it was packed on Sunday afternoon. Car parking 6 pounds per car. The Canon & Epson stands where extremely busy. Good bargins to be had on paper and inkjet cartridges. My tip take your own sandwhichs found there's to be expensive. price for a pint 2.50.
Franticsmurf 18 838 Wales
23 Feb 2004 9:58AM
I got there at about 9am - no problem parking but the parking ticket booths weren't open. You don't have to display the ticket, just hand it in at the end, so buy the ticket on the way back to the car (don't forget to leave 6 spare despite the temptations in the show, LOL). 1.10 for a coffee (which was quite nice, actually). Take water as you quickly get dehydrated in the air conditioned halls.

Tudor are giving away 50 USB flash drives to the first 50 at their stand each day.

Cameraworld sold me a Lexar 12x CF2 512MB card for 80 and there were loads of other deals like that.

Bob Rigby's stand is worth a look for 2nd hand medium format and large format.

The Wedding Show and the Boat Show are on as well

I'm glad I went, I got a couple of nice deals, I was early enough to avoid the crowds and got away without getting stuck in too much traffic. Managed to pick up back ache, though. Too may 'deals', perhaps?
Dave
tva 18 307
23 Feb 2004 8:01PM
Went yesterday mself(Sunday) with a friend. Set off from sheffield at 8.30 got to M6 slip road about 10ish and then spent another hour in a traffic jam before getting into the hall about 11.30. Enjoyed the show though. But very crowded.
Having had a play on the Sigma stand with their new 12-24mm wide angle lens. Bought one from A.J. Purdy for 480 for my 300D. Also bought Photomasterart gold, after watching a demo. Had a quick play and it looks to be a very good product. Its stand alone rather than a PS plug-in. But looks as though it could produce some very good art work(Its by the same people who produce buzz). Try and upload something soon. Also some wide angle shots when I have had more practise. Its all go.
There seems to be some good bargains, probably more so on wednesday afternoon, if you can wait.
Cheers
Terry
andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2004 9:00PM
Yes went today,same as above,going back on Wednesday.
vfr400 19 886
23 Feb 2004 9:06PM
Hi Andy, Enjoyed myself today met lots of EPZ members Cannon and Epson stands crowded again today. Many stands aimed for the pro's but still lots for us am's to see. Finaly had a 10D in my hands, lovely but not so impressed with the nikon D70 despite it being black! well worth the visit.
PS Take a drink with you the air is very dry in there.
chris
Anthony 19 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2004 9:13PM
Or if you time it right maybe Pete will buy you a drink.

Anthony
vfr400 19 886
23 Feb 2004 9:20PM
Was it Pete or TJ? ;0)
bppowell 19 2.2k 2 England
23 Feb 2004 9:25PM
I went on Sunday and was nearly trampled to death in the rush to get in when the doors were opened, will go later next time. Did not find the EPZ stand but had a good look round. Had a look at the prototype Minolta DSLR, looks good they said it will be roughly 1200 when it is released.

Took in part of Andy Rouse show, at least I think it was Andy Rouse .

Barry
Anthony 19 5.6k 17 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2004 9:26PM
Well, I'm sure I saw Pete hand his wallet to TJ, mind you with hindsight, I dont know many men who would hand over their wallet to a woman (God, I can here the sharp intake of breath from here
wendy9 17 475 United Kingdom
23 Feb 2004 9:33PM
Yes, I was another one who met up with Pete and co and all the others from today. Enjoyed it, and it was good to meet folks in the flesh so to speak - at least some of us looked like our profile photos! I found it fascinating watching the Photoshop demos by Adobe, obviously promoting CS, but don't they make it look easy?!!! Also the Longridge Mountcutter people were there - brilliant piece of equipment which I can highly recommend.
Phoenix 19 1.9k England
23 Feb 2004 10:30PM
yeah, it was nice to meet Pete and Will and . . . . erm . . . . wotsername as well as some of the other ePz-ers.

Thought the Photography Monkey . . . . I mean Mundanely . . . . . or is it Muttley . . . . or Monthly stand was pretty naff and was dissapointed Canon didn't have the new 70-300mm DO lens there but overall I enjoyed the day.

Having travelled home by train I now understand why they call them Virgin Trains. After all, they do say Virgins don't go all the way
edz2001 18 513
23 Feb 2004 10:31PM
I agree, another great show and good to put some more faces to the names.

Even managed to pick up a Canon 17-40mm for 530, saving about 70! (Which was promptly spent on some Lee filters!)

Hope to see you all again soon!

Ed.
stevenj 17 2.0k England
23 Feb 2004 10:53PM
And who took the group photo, was it you Ed? Just wondering...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.