30-Day FREE Amazon Prime Trial - Get Ready For Prime Day 2021

Who's doing an OU course?

pj.morley 18 947 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2005 4:18PM
I noticed in another thread that one or two people just happened to mention in passing that they were doing OU courses.. Me too... I never thought of ePz as a contact for other OUer's before but anyway..

Just wondering who's doing what.. I've been mad enough to take on 2 this year...Ecology and Oceanography. And if I get myself motivated I might get finished this year..
cambirder 17 7.2k England
18 Mar 2005 4:28PM
You are a a bit ahead of me with your level 3 stuff. I'm currently 1/2 way through S103, Discovering Science, and will be off on the linked summer school in August.

How's it going doing 2 x 30 pointers at the same time? I want to do the Geology and Astronomy courses next but I thought I would only do the Geology + summer school next year to break gently into level 2 study.

Paul
daiprice 18 90
18 Mar 2005 4:47PM
Completed mine about 7 years ago doing electronics/computing. I do't think people realise how much work has to go in to doing a OU degree. Well done both, and good luck
18 Mar 2005 9:11PM
Hi Cambirder, 2 x 30 pointers is trickier than 1 x 60 but I'm hoping to complete the degree this year..

I did S103 myself a few years ago.. It's a great course and the summer school is fantastic.. a great time socially, if you are that way inclined you won't get to bed before 3.00 am. The academic work is varied and interesting. Did I mention the social life? Wink

How are you finding the course?

My level 2 courses were S207 (physics), ST 240 (chemistry) SK220 (Human Biology & Health)

I did SD329 (Signals & Perceptions) and S320 (Infectious Diseases) last year so hopefully this is my last year..

Well, unless I decide to do something else that is.

Good luck with it and for your level 2 stuff..
18 Mar 2005 9:14PM
Hi Dave,

I agree that people don't realis how much work goes into it. I lecture myself at my local Uni and I know i do more work on my OU stuff than my students do on their course Wink
19 Mar 2005 8:52AM

Quote:How are you finding the course?

Really enjoying it, have gained enough marks on TMA's 1-5 to gain a pass but intend to give it my all for the rest of them, Hope I can do as well for the ECA.

Good luck with the degree, hope to have mine in a few years time.
tce5 16 61 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2005 4:55AM
Hi there, I'm in my third year of OU course. I'm doing a BSc (Hons)Health Studies and have so far done S103, K100, SK220, and next year I am going to do History of Medicine and Infectious Diseases.
Good job I dont sleep much eh - lol.
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2005 5:35AM
I did an HND full time, then completed a degree with the OU.
The full time course did have quiet spells when it seemed (after working for a living) like holiday camp, but when they turned on the pressure it hurt. If it was easy, there wouldn't be any point doing it.
People doing a similar degree course had it easy in year 1, in year 2 they had to do some work (nasty shock), those that were left for the final year were a stressed out bunch of people. That was over 15 years ago. The big change now probably is that more people are working to pay their way.

The OU, done in 'spare' time, was simply gruelling slog most of the way.
In fact, some of the course work was really interesting, and mentally stretching, and worthwhile, probably qualifies as 'wouldn't have missed it', worth doing for its own sake. In the end though it came down to racking up points to put (hons) on the end of the degree, so it was getting like an endurance test.

That SD329 looks interesting - if I had time to kill, it might be worth doing, just for the sake of it. It would have fitted ny profile, had it been available.
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2005 6:17AM
I did several courses in the arts with the OU many years ago. With 9 assigments at around 2 thousand words for each one I swiftly looked hard and purchased an early Amstrad computer for assigments that would make the essays easier by moving and pasting bits in thus reducing my valuable time, no more re-writing. Alas no, the tutor would have none of it in spite of having one of her own perhaps on the assumption of cheating or whatever.

I wasn`t sure if this was OU plicy or the tutors own but either way I considered it a stupid attitude by not accepting new technology. I even had vinyl records sent to nme in spite of tape cassettes being around for a few years at the time. I am thinking that even today you would not be able to contact the tutor by Email. I wonder if TV programmes are now available to students on DVD.

My views on the OU have been low since then.
Your idea of contact through the forums is excellent and I wish you well. Oh yes I remember the pain and misery of some parts but well worth the effort. I have heard that an OU student packs in as much work in a year on some courses as one would in 3 at a Uni.
Keep at it and good luck.

Ken
20 Mar 2005 6:27AM

Quote:I did several courses in the arts with the OU many years ago. With 9 assigments at around 2 thousand words for each one I swiftly looked hard and purchased an early Amstrad computer for assigments that would make the essays easier by moving and pasting bits in thus reducing my valuable time, no more re-writing. Alas no, the tutor would have none of it in spite of having one of her own perhaps on the assumption of cheating or whatever.

Things have moved on since then. A lot of subjects would be imposible without access to a computer. A lot of course work is based on computer based learning. For my course I have 10 books covering each subject too full DVD's of stuff, a practical kit, umpteen study files and there are also the OU tele progs to record on the BBC. All written work is acceptable when produced on a PC (plagerism is an absolute no-no of cause), although they do prefer hand produced drawings in some instances.
willo 16 20 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2005 8:25AM
I'm currently doing K100 Understanding Health and Social Care.

I've previously done a degree via Chester College/Chester Uni whatever it wants to call itself these days and was surprised when I received all of the course materials because everything you could possibly need is supplied barring the electronic equipment to run it on! I got into a habit of scouring Chester's library to find information but OU supplies everything you need - makes for a much easier life!

I'm hoping to return to university to do either a degree or a masters in Social Work, so far the OU has been very helpful in getting me back into the study habit and proved to me how much can be done when one manages ones time efficiently! (I also work full time).

If anyone is thinking about it I'd say give it a go, you'll surprise yourself!
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
20 Mar 2005 9:02AM

Quote:Things have moved on since then.

They certainly have as I have just looked at their web site, but, are the tutors on the ball?
20 Mar 2005 9:05AM
Well this is my 1st course so I've only had dealings with one tutor, and I have to say that she is very good
20 Mar 2005 9:58AM
My OU tutors were a mixed bag, only one I remember as bad, and three were very helpful. I don't mean I called them for help a lot, they just gave good tutorials and sent back especially useful comments on the coursework. Genuine tutoring.
And at summer school, one rather casual evening tutotial was particularly good. Tutorials always should take place outdoors on summer evenings with drinks on hand. Gets the message over, and it was a mindbender too.
20 Mar 2005 10:09AM
I should second what willo says about the course materials as well. I used a university library to extend my reading, mainly on one level three course, but it isn't wholly necessary - the OU publishes its own books, and supplies the whole course package - so long as you have a postal service, you don't strictly need anything else. Excellent material.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.