Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Who said the moon was blue?

wendy9 18 475 United Kingdom
28 Oct 2003 11:00PM
Did anyone see the moon early this evening, before it disappeared. I know it's nearly Halloween, but I have never seen such an eerie sight and wonder if the major solar flare was a factor. It certainly wasn't blue Smile

Well fear not(!), I managed to get a shot (passable but not perfect) which I have uploaded this evening (still awaiting its 'arrival'). Once it's there I'll post a link.
SuziBlue 18 16.2k 10 Scotland
29 Oct 2003 1:36AM
Looking forward to seeing that Wendy - very strange phenomena happening recently !
29 Oct 2003 7:40AM
Suzi, Looks like the boys have done a moon and disappeared since last night! Definitely a strange phenomenon that one Smile
Still, they do deserve some time off sometimes, don't they, they do such a fantastic job! I see you were up late...!
29 Oct 2003 10:19AM
Good grief Wendy - that moon you've posted is extraordinary .. and looks like today is going to be interesting.

and LOL! about the boys ..
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2003 12:55PM
Come clean Wendy, you took that through a Babybel wrapper didn't you! We all know the moon is made of Lancashire cheese, not Red Leicester. :0)

Ian
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2003 1:27PM
Interesting shot Wendy - looks like ghostly fingers gripping a bleeding moon - eek! as Suzi might say. Smile

That sort of colour is usually a consequence of atmospheric pollution. I wonder if it is from the fires over California and elsewhere? I don't think there have been any volcanic eruptions, which is a common source of such effects.

I'm hoping we might get to see some "Northern Lights" as a result of the Solar Flares - probably won't get as far south as the coast though Sad
29 Oct 2003 5:53PM
Thanks for your interesting comments folks!

Suzi, I also replied to you on the image - the black bars were the passing clouds!!!

Ian, nice thought, but I think the long exposure through a wrapper might have made it even hazier!...LOL

Brian, I did pass comment that maybe the solar flare was beginning to take effect? Don't know my astronomy these days - maybe the moon was nearer to the sun than we were last night!

If anyone looking at this thread hasn't seen it yet, the photo is here.
brian1208 18 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
29 Oct 2003 7:22PM
Wendy - I was so fascinated by your picture I have just spent about an hour searching the web to see if anyone else has reported or explained what you saw.

I found nothing - you appear to have got a scoop. Brilliant work Smile Now, who can you sell the picture to?
29 Oct 2003 7:46PM
Brian I loved your image of ghostly fingers gripping a bleeding moon ... (eek!)

I didn't find anything either Wendy .. in fact the spaceweather.com site takes pics from the public of space phenomena .. as does NASA, going by their galleries .. how extraordinary .. and nothing anywhere else ..

You sure it wasn't the moon seen through a wineglass, darkly .. lol! hee hee
29 Oct 2003 8:26PM
That's interesting Brian and Suzi. I've asked around at work today and no-one else saw it. Perhaps I'd better follow that up...I'm looking to buy an A3+ printer! Fortunately I have two very observant sons else I would have missed it.

Your last comment Suzi might apply on occasions - probably on ephoto get togethers(lol) but definitely not last night - that was after I came back in and needed the cockles of my heart warming!!!!!!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.