50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

who uses Ping and does it work?

wicksy 15 79 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2010 10:37AM
When I uploaded a photo yesterday I noticed the option to sign up for "ping" and use it to share my photos on facebook etc when I post them on ephotozine. Seems like a good Idea but means I have to give ping permission to access and update my account. WOndered if anyone was using this option and how they found it?
Chris
User_Removed 11 718 9 England
19 Jun 2010 11:52AM
Im not using it, i already have images on facebook, and have no desire to share those i upload here with anyone else but ePz'ers.

ePz for me is a lil haven, somewhere to for tog talk and inspiration, advice, community spirit, i dont want my facebook followers to know i have just uploaded an image here, im a bit anal in that respect. And i dont do twitter, bores the arse off me, i deleted my account months ago.

I can see why some would use the ping function but for me its a big fat no no.
19 Jun 2010 3:37PM
Thanks, I have friends that are into Photography that are on facebook and not on ephotozine and Ping just seemed like a good way of drawing their attention to things I have shot. I guess it is the security / reliability of Ping i am most concerned about. I don't twitter and to be honest am a bit of a reluctant facebook user so the idea of being able to share photos on facebook without seperate uploads is attractive.
Chris
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
19 Jun 2010 7:10PM
Hi Wicksy,

I was the developer who created the ping.fm integration into ePHOTozine. Sites like facebook and twitter provide a secure connection method between them and sites like ping.fm. Ping.fm doesn't store your login details, they simply get permission granted by facebook/twitter when you set it up. You may be asked when you set it up to allow access. You can disable it at any time.

As the feature is relativly new, only a handful of members are using it, but can assure you that it is totally secure and if you are looking to draw more attention to your ePHOTOzine portfolio, this is an ideal way.

David
19 Jun 2010 9:41PM
David, thanks for the explanation, and the assurance I will look forward to seeing how it works.
Chris
KathyW 17 1.8k 12 Norfolk Island
19 Jun 2010 11:40PM
I quite like the idea of being able to "ping" at will, but even though I signed up for it and think I ticked all the boxes, I still seem to be a ping-free zone.
Does it only work for new uploads to EPZ? I haven't added any new pics since I signed up.
Scutter Plus
13 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 9:23AM

Quote:I quite like the idea of being able to "ping" at will, but even though I signed up for it and think I ticked all the boxes, I still seem to be a ping-free zone.
Does it only work for new uploads to EPZ? I haven't added any new pics since I signed up.

so its leaving a bit of a "pong" then Kathy!TongueTongueWink
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 7:37PM

Quote:I quite like the idea of being able to "ping" at will, but even though I signed up for it and think I ticked all the boxes, I still seem to be a ping-free zone.

yes, it only works for new activity (new photo uploads, new blog posts, new forum topics ,etc)
20 Jun 2010 8:47PM
Okay... I just uploaded a pic but as far as I'm aware nothing has pinged. A slight pong maybe but I blame the dog for that.

Maybe I need to go to the ping page and put a link in the box where it says ping it!? In which case isn't that much the same as just pasting the link onto facebook or twitter or whatever?

I think I'm missing something - I'm not quite sure of the point... Tongue
Fishnet 16 5.0k 5 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 9:02PM
Can you select what gets shared? I don't mind sharing my photos as I usually post them on FB too but I certainly don't want my forum posts shared with anyone else.
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 9:13PM
You have to check a box each time.
20 Jun 2010 9:29PM
I didn't see a box to tick, so I guess there's something I haven't done (or done it wrong!)
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 9:41PM
Only for new topics or pictures. There's an option near the bottom "share on social networks". That's how I found it.
20 Jun 2010 10:30PM
Hi all
I discovered it when I uploaded my last image. You have to create a ping account and go through the process of giving it permission in facebook / flickr etc, When I started this tread I then found that the box was checked already to say that it would be shared on my social networks. I unchecked because whilst I want my images to be shared I am not sure all my friiends would be interested in a debate about whether to "ping" or "not t ping".
Kathy I wonder whther you ping account is active if you are not seeing a checked box when you upload?
Chris
jeanie Plus
17 6.0k 6 United Kingdom
20 Jun 2010 10:35PM
I added a picture here this morning and the ping box was already ticked.. but nothing showed on Facebook........
not sure what I did wrong.. followed the instructions that were on here at first.. Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.