Save An Extra 15% On All Regatta Clearance Jackets & Coats use code: JACKET15

Who you know

Jasper87 Plus
11 2.7k 158 England
27 Aug 2019 7:16PM
The only true wisdom is knowing you know nothing!
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
28 Aug 2019 6:45AM
During my time being directly involved in other peopleís lives....enabling them to improve their lot, or to persuade other individuals or agencies to assist.

I learned a very valuable strategy, based upon........Systems Theory ......and ....Psychology...

Each of us are a system, we interact within our personal partner/family system, extending outwards like the ripples on a lake.
All of these systems and individuals within them intersect at different levels.

As my contribution to this discussion.... not all contacts need to be from the higher echelons of a system....

Good examples are..... a caretaker in a large school, might influence the thinking and actions of those in authority...or....within the staff or pupil groups ...simply because he or she has direct personal involvement with all three.

Likewise..... the biggest influence on a troubled teen might not be a parent/career or teacher, but his/her best mate.

This....Systems Theory ....works across the board, used wisely, it can open many doors.

You might want to influence the boss..... but a chat to his wife/partner might be more fruitful...

Think it through.

Have Fun!

Hobbo
JJGEE 16 7.9k 18 England
28 Aug 2019 8:24AM
Who You Know ?

Must be a great time if you are a reviewer getting an " hands on ' with loads of new gear, bodies, lenses before they are officially released Smile

Was it yesterday new Lumix, this morning new Canons and later this afternoon new gear from Sony ?

Willpower 10 505 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 10:55AM
FotoDen 4 7 Germany
28 Aug 2019 12:06PM
'I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.'
Socrates
gcarth Plus
16 3.9k 1 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 6:32PM

Quote:I get the distinct impression that here it's 'Who you know' and not necessarily 'What you know'.
I think you need to expand that statement. In what context does 'Who you know' apply?
Are you commenting in regard to photography or do you mean in relation to the 'Healthy Debate' forum?
gcarth Plus
16 3.9k 1 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 6:47PM

Quote:'I know that I am intelligent, because I know that I know nothing.'
Socrates

Socrates, in my opinion, was a greater philosopher than Plato or Aristotle because he was more inclined to question every aspect of a concept and tried to avoid dogma and making over-hasty assumptions.
Socrates was so right when he said that "The unexamined life is not worth living". We still haven't learned that a real person is one who questions everything instead of being a 'sheep' or worries about knowing the right kind of people.
He must have been a right pain in the a**e but he recognised that life is much more complex and lacking in certainty than many of us like to think. My respect and admiration for Socrates's dialectic style is probably why I'm also a pain in the a**e. Wink
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 7:46PM
Who knows ....
Fma7 5 1.1k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 8:29PM

Quote:I learned a very valuable strategy

Did you also learn that one full stop is quite sufficient? Tongue
saltireblue Plus
10 11.8k 75 Norway
28 Aug 2019 8:39PM

Quote:
Quote:I learned a very valuable strategy

Did you also learn that one full stop is quite sufficient? Tongue

Says who?Tongue
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
28 Aug 2019 8:48PM
Itís just my way of making sections of a thread more readable........ ok?
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2019 10:41PM
Punctuation was invented to prevent creative writing! Wink
29 Aug 2019 5:15AM
As I am a Yank I know I am a real outsider on this site. I speak English as those from the UK do, but I can barely understand most of what they are talking about. What is the question we are talking about? Cheerio! LOLGrin
hobbo Plus
10 1.7k 4 England
29 Aug 2019 6:45AM

Quote:As I am a Yank I know I am a real outsider on this site. I speak English as those from the UK do, but I can barely understand most of what they are talking about. What is the question we are talking about? Cheerio! LOLGrin

Hi, West,

As in all walks of life including photography and photography forums, exactly WHO you know, might get you further than via WHAT you know.

The ....Who......might be able to pull a few strings....or....to proffer favouritism ....

On the other hand......superior / professional knowledge/experience.......should bring status, plus the choice of being helpful to fellow members.....or.....to appear superior and looking down on those less knowledgeable..

No doubt others might have a better way of putting it.

Hope this helps?

Hobbo 🤓
FotoDen 4 7 Germany
29 Aug 2019 7:14AM

Quote:'I think you need to expand that statement. In what context does 'Who you know' apply?
Are you commenting in regard to photography or do you mean in relation to the 'Healthy Debate' forum?'

'Who you know' relates to the number of votes one could receive for images that may be average, at best.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.