50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Who you know

gcarth Plus
16 3.9k 1 United Kingdom
29 Aug 2019 9:43AM

Quote:'Who you know' relates to the number of votes one could receive for images that may be average, at best.
Thanks for that confirmation. I thought that was probably what you meant. I hope wasn't being too pedantic!

I think the number of votes for a photo depends on a few factors. Quite possibly 'who you know' is one of them but I think the subject matter is important - there seem to be certain subjects and styles that are very popular and others that have a minority appeal even though the photos may be technically perfect.
Another factor is that when viewing the gallery with it's fairly small pics, some photos do not stand out until enlarged because they are dependent on enlargement for the revelation of small but important detail.
Some subjects are more popular than others: Close ups of birds and other animals are very popular and get lots of votes.
The best of my own photos are often those with fewer votes while those with the most votes are ones that I consider are merely o.k..
I think by and large, anyone's photos that earn a really big number of votes are really good photos but I have to say that I've seen many photos that seem to me much better or worse than their number of votes suggests.
I suppose the thing to remember is that when we vote for pics on the gallery, we are voting for something that appeals subjectively and not only for their technical merit.

29 Aug 2019 7:57PM
"Hope this helps?

Hobbo 🤓"

Thank you. That helps a lot.

I think the answer actually depends on what you want. If you want acclaim, honors, and high regard then it is what you know that gets you that. What you know and what experience has taught you as evidenced by the high art of photography that you produce. But, should you want to be noticed and get votes, as on this site, I would suspect that it is who you know and associate with here that gets you that. As in sort of like in a camera club which often seems more political than anything else.

However, being successful in achieving either of these goals depends on one important factor. This is how you 'merchandise' yourself. If you are going to be a shy, wall flower then no matter how good a photographer you are you won't be noticed for either you expertise nor for who you associate with. So, just because you are 'good' as a photographer does not guarantee success. Success depends on how skilled you are in promoting yourself. That is the trick in any 'achievement', I believe.
24 Feb 2021 12:20AM
LOL....I just found this thread during a search for this topic and it's an interesting read, as far as i can make out, the best way
to get votes and comments on your shots is to get to know people on this site, when you click on someones shot they may well go to your portfolio and give a click on one of YOUR shots, you make friends and with all the reciprocation going on your 'click' count per image will gradually rise over time so it's WHO you know rather than an indication of how good a photographer you are, i have seen some absolute garbage shots in the gallery with loads of votes so i know this to be true, you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours kinda thing......just made me laugh is all.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
24 Feb 2021 12:30PM
I'm assuming that basic human nature passed you by? Wink
gcarth Plus
16 3.9k 1 United Kingdom
24 Feb 2021 12:53PM

Quote:LOL....I just found this thread during a search for this topic and it's an interesting read, as far as i can make out, the best way
to get votes and comments on your shots is to get to know people on this site, when you click on someones shot they may well go to your portfolio and give a click on one of YOUR shots, you make friends and with all the reciprocation going on your 'click' count per image will gradually rise over time so it's WHO you know rather than an indication of how good a photographer you are, i have seen some absolute garbage shots in the gallery with loads of votes so i know this to be true, you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours kinda thing......just made me laugh is all.

Yes, I think there's a lot in what you say. I think the only way to have a more balanced judgement on our photos is if they are viewed and judged only by strangers outside of EPZ.
Even then, it's all subjective, isn't it? Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.