WHY!!!

whipspeed 16 4.2k 22 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 9:09AM
In May, we planted an oak tree in the park behind our house, there was a gap, where another tree had died so we filled the gap, we thought it would be a nice thing to do for our sons 16th birthday. It was growing really well, the Council were keeping the grass down around it and the other trees and were careful when mowing around it. It was fine yesterday when I got home from work, but when we went outside to put some stuff in the garage last night, somebody and twisted and broken the stem in half. I'd grown that tree from an acorn & I just feel so depressed that people can just destroy things for no reason.

Sorry to moan away, but I'm really upset about this.
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 9:31AM
Things like that really pee me off, totally mindless. It's a good job I wasn't around to see them doing it, I would have probably ended up being beaten up or in custody (or both).

Ian
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 9:33AM
Yeah, many of the trees around town where I live had had branches ripped off recently. In my youth, I used to climb trees, but never ever thought of vandalising one. I'm with Ian on this.
conrad 16 10.9k 116
20 Jul 2007 9:47AM
Totally anti-social and disrespectful behaviour. I will never understand why people do things like that.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 Jul 2007 10:31AM

Quote:I will never understand why people do things like that.

Because we don't come down on them hard enough, And on the odd occasion when someone does come down hard on them, They end up in big trouble, And the louts become the Victim......Sad

3 Years compulsory National service, Might help.

A Recent case of a youth, Beating domestic cat's to death with an Iron bar, Springs to mind, I dare not go into the detail of what I had in mind for this barbaric thug......But I can say it was not pleasant...Sad
Alison_S 14 339 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 10:34AM
Tell me about it......

I'm totally fed up with the teenagers around here at the moment. I had such an arguement with a bunch of them who were destroying house martins nests in our neighbourhood the night before last. I love all wildlife and this just upset me so much. I suppose many a person will think that I'm a bit OTT going on about this.....but it matters to me.

It's in the hands of the police now, because it is against the law to destroy their nests at this time of year.......a bit late for the house martins unfortunately.
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
20 Jul 2007 10:36AM
GGGGGrrrrrrrrrr.....Sad
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
20 Jul 2007 10:37AM

Quote:I'm totally fed up with the teenagers around here at the moment

I am totally fed up with teenagers, full stop.
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 10:38AM
Severity of punishment doesn't seem to matter, prisons are overflowing as are the young offenders centres. The Probation Service has more work than they can cope with, especially as they are now bogged down by paperwork and staff reductions.

The country (if not most of the developed world) is in a downward spiral, children learn most of their values from their parents and if the parents don't give a damn then neither will their children. I don't know the answer but you can't just keep locking them up, especially as a lot of them see that as some form of medal of honour. They treat ASBOs as their equivalent to a GCE, so their value is also questionable.
Alison_S 14 339 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 10:48AM

Quote:They treat ASBOs as their equivalent to a GCE

Couldn't agree more. One local lad up here (19) was banned from coming near the town his family live in for the next three years due to him causing so much trouble (vandalism, violence...). He came out of the court grinning from ear to ear, and if you listen to the youngsters now they talk about him as though he's some sort of hero.
20 Jul 2007 10:57AM
I think you are right, they don't seem to be given any sense of right and wrong from parents or authorities. My son would not do anything like this as he knows what's right & wrong, we've given him a set of values.
My hubby went wandering round the park last night to see if he could see them doing any more damage, but what would have happened if he had caught them? I suppose he would have been in trouble.
I did catch a few children damaging a tree a few years ago & went out with a horse whip & told them if they didn't bugger off they would get walloped. I had the Dad round in about 5 minutes, but sent him off to sort them out after he heard what they'd been doing & the language they were using, he must have sorted something as they never appeared again, probably frightened by the mad woman with a whip.
pennyspike 17 2.1k 29 United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 10:58AM
A watchword within the Prison Service is "Respect" but unfortunately it is one way traffic.
When grandparents suppy drugs to their granchildren 'inside' ; prisoners complain about 'invasion of personal space' if they are subject of a finger wagging; the 'f' work is to be considered part of the territory when you work with them, then we just don't stand a chance of instilling any 'decency' before they leave to start all over again.
Such a pity to see so many wasted lives.
But let's never forget that the vast majority are nothing like that, it's just the bad ones that make the headlines and they do it over and over again.
20 Jul 2007 11:19AM

Quote:But let's never forget that the vast majority are nothing like that, it's just the bad ones that make the headlines and they do it over and over again

Agree with you there Penny.

My son was also spat at in McDonalds a while ago because he thanked the waitress for his order, he was called a posh Tw*t.
CanonMan 18 586 4 England
20 Jul 2007 11:22AM

Quote:I am totally fed up with teenagers

Don't generalise. I have two teenagers. Both have been brought up to respect property and other people - and they do. Parental responsibility (or lack of) accounts for a lot of this loutish behaviour. BTW, I'd have been well p***ed off if I'd seen someone vandalising the tree and nests too and would probably have got into trouble/stabbed because I wouldn't have been able to keep quiet about it.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
20 Jul 2007 12:00PM
Well said.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.