Get 20% Off PortraitPro 22 With Our Exclusive Code

Why?

noseprints 18 576
5 Feb 2004 11:11PM
oh, i've been to a lot of those forums. i did say pete's only one person. but i do notice that pete goes for photos that take skill, and i'm going to try to achieve some of that. it doesn't hurt.

as for doing photography for yourself. i take pleasure in my pictures, but i've struggled with this many times: i need the response. i don't feel the experience is complete for me if i haven't communicated something!

that might sound like i need approval. maybe. i do know that i'm insecure. i think we can all relate to that to varying degrees. i'm still growing. i'll see how it develops.
Mari 18 1.8k United Kingdom
5 Feb 2004 11:33PM
Lucie, if its any consolation, I think your work is really inspiring, especially the portraits that you do. There is a definite warmth to them. The other thread going on at the mo "styles" is interesting and I definitely think you have a style of your own. I haven't had an EC yet and I do admit that a teeny part of me yearns to get one for the boost.
noseprints 18 576
6 Feb 2004 12:21AM
yeah, same here. i'm always a little disappointed when i thought i uploaded an expecially hopeful candidate, and ec's have by-passed me again.

thanks, mari, that's nice of you to say that about my portraits. it's easy when you have an expressive little actress willing to pose.
Bernie 18 2.2k
6 Feb 2004 1:16AM
Lu you have already achieved great skill,I don't look for EC's. There are some fantastic photographers on this site and if I get a possitive comment from one of them, then that to me is equal to an EC. If you see what I mean...It's late and I'm starting to ramble...Off to bed I think...Goodnight.
Paddy 19 254 8 England
6 Feb 2004 9:14AM
(**)
we all start somewhere & this site I have to say gives you to space to grow & find your style, Pete has always been open to what ever we try, some of it works & others we learn from .. so look & you will find a real diverse selection of photographer .. we have some real excellent work going on .. yes you do have to look sometimes but if we help the learner to develope more & gave comments to corect where they might have fault .. it would help them all along & grow & to develope ...
it's always good to remember where you started from !
just my thoughts SmileP
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2004 9:18AM
I agree entirely with Rick Lucy. You only need to look at the number of hearts your work is collecting to see that you are much better than you give yourself credit for being. Although you obviously like portraits, your work is already reasonably varied and your '-25' has collected 8 hearts, so your good stuff is not restricted to portraits.

It takes time and practice to adapt to a new style of photography, all you can do is try and see what works. Sometimes things which look excellent in the viewfinder are not as good on screen or paper, but keep trying. I have been taking photographs for over 30 years and I am still learning (much more rapidly since finding this site).

Luck

Ian
noseprints 18 576
6 Feb 2004 4:42PM
practise practise practise, that's all it is about! i want to know my camera! i want to create the perfect pinsharp pictures of objects. i want to switch lenses with on hand while screwing my camera onto the tripod with the other, while entertaining my subject and start shooting again, without him even noticing!
Carabosse 18 41.8k 270 England
6 Feb 2004 5:47PM
Noseprints is spot on. Using a camera successfully is a bit like driving a car well. You have to feel completely at one with your equipment and not have to think about what button or dial you need to push or turn.

Otherwise you spend all your time thinking about the mundane technicalities of the equipment at the expense of the aesthetics and artistry.

It may sound daft but practice using a new camera in a darkened room!!
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
6 Feb 2004 5:52PM
Some people probably have no option Carabosse, they've spent so much on their cameras they can't afford the electricity for a light. :0)

Ian
macroman 18 15.3k England
9 Feb 2004 7:31PM
I usually find it helps to LIE DOWN in a darkened room after spending ages taking loads of pix that turn out to be complete and utter C**p ;o)

As Lucie says, Practice,Practice,Practice,
Practice,Practice and more Practice.
That's the way to learn to take photos, even if they turn out to be even more rubbish.

LoL
a2jlp 18 165 Scotland
9 Feb 2004 11:46PM
Practice with a purpose. If you dont understand the basics, if you dont take time to study the masters, if you dont examine winning techniques / images, you are in danger of simply becoming well versed in what you practice and that may not be a winning/satisfying formula. What Im trying to get across is that you need input, variety, inspiration and knowledge. I also feel that learning anything is so much easier now than say 10 years ago.

Take photography for example. To become reasonably proficient, there is so much information available on the Internet and on ePHOTOzine; who needs to buy a book, attend a course or waste loads of film? You have it made, the ideal tools, computers, a digital camera and software. You can experiment, learn, understand, at minimal cost. Dont confuse TAKING a good photograph with PRODUCING a good photograph; this is another area requiring additional skill and knowledge whether working digitally or traditionally. Combine the two and you are off to a good start.

Understand your equipment; know the controls and how they affect your image. Learn to manipulate all controls while the camera is at eye level, this should become second nature.

I suppose in the early days we look for guidance, inspiration, and techniques. We become technically proficient and then we take photographs based on our own perception of what makes a good image. Through time, some of us will succeed, and some of us wont. Sad but true. Depends on what each individual is trying to achieve though.

Learn the basics first, then you can break the rules. Dont try and justify a photograph by using a fancy title, a detailed description or otherwise. A powerful/successful image should stand out on its on without the blah! Too many of us try to explain what we were trying to achieve with lengthy prose. If the impact/purpose of a photograph is not obvious to the majority of viewers without a detailed explanation then perhaps we have failed?

Just my thoughts. One thing about digital, (assuming many of us have access to computers), we have the option to learn faster and cheaper than ever before.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.