Save 60% On inPixio Eclipse HDR Pro

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas ?

MrGoatsmilk 12 1.5k England
1 Dec 2010 10:30PM
I don't care what it's called or what some want to believe such as there is a man in the sky who had a son..... etc etc I get to book the time off work (if I get in quick) and spend the time with my family and I don't have to go anywhere near a church Grin

Stu

BTW man in the sky reference is from the film, The invention of lying, worth a watch.
Carrera_c 11 273 3 United Kingdom
1 Dec 2010 10:46PM
It doesn't matter what you believe in religiously. People choose what they want to celebrate for christmas. Christians will celebrate the birth of Christ, other's won't. I think for most nowadays it's about family and close friends coming together, or that's what I take from it anyway.

In the end, what's the harm if only a minority of people celebrate the 'true' meaning of christmas? As time goes on traditions are changed to suit the times we live in, as evidenced in the transition of christmas from a pagan to christian festival like Billlee mentioned in the first post.
1 Dec 2010 10:47PM
I'm sure that people have various reasons, religious or otherwise for celebrating Christmas but thought I'd google origins ... first page I read (snippet quote to follow)

Quote:No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on. From the biblical description, most historians believe that his birth probably occurred in September, approximately six months after Passover. One thing they agree on is that it is very unlikely that Jesus was born in December, since the bible records shepherds tending their sheep in the fields on that night. This is quite unlikely to have happened during a cold Judean winter. So why do we celebrate Christís birthday as Christmas, on December the 25th?

The answer lies in the pagan origins of Christmas. In ancient Babylon, the feast of the Son of Isis (Goddess of Nature) was celebrated on December 25. Raucous partying, gluttonous eating and drinking, and gift-giving were traditions of this feast.

Grin
mattw 17 5.2k 10 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 12:00AM
To answer this question I would like to invoke the words of Tim Minchin, who I think really hit the nail on the head with his song White Wine in the Sun
2 Dec 2010 12:55AM
What time is the Great Escape on?
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 5:54AM

Quote:What time is the Great Escape on?

Between The Sound of Music and Goldfinger Wink
sitan1 Plus
12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 7:42AM
Who cares I don't believe but I hope I get some nice photographic pressies Grin
Hooray for xmas.
mohikan22 Plus
17 2.3k 2 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 7:45AM
Why do atheists celebrate Christmas ?

because we are sociable even if we dont believe. Its a time of giving no? i dont care the reason "originally" but i like to enjoy the fun my children have and the family get together.
Shutterbybaby 13 529 England
2 Dec 2010 7:54AM
I dont believe in God,but I do celebrate christmas...I do so because I have kids and who am I to not let them have christmas Wink
If I didnt have kids I wouldnt bother celebrating it(I didnt really bother before i had kids) but I would celebrate the january sales still!! Tongue
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 8:20AM
Religious or not, there is nothing wrong with taking part in a time of year which makes many people happier.
collywobles 16 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 10:27AM

Quote:No one knows what day Jesus Christ was born on

Yes he was - he was born on Christmas Day. The Holy Bible says ........................................................ Wink
keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 10:55AM

Quote:he was born on Christmas Day. The Holy Bible says
I don't think so. Best estimate I've seen, oddly enough, was September 11th. 25th December is the birthday of Mithras, and the last day of Saturnalia.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 11:31AM
Christmas: "Bah - Humbug"! Tongue
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
2 Dec 2010 10:38PM

Quote:Why do atheists celebrate Christmas ?

Because there's a national holiday where the majority of people are off at the same time for at least a couple of days, where families get a chance to catch up, and when it's traditionally a time of peace and goodwill to all, when people give gifts and are generally nice to each other and strangers, and all in what would otherwise be the darkest and gloomiest time of year. I can live with that as it is without having to get all religious about it
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
2 Dec 2010 10:52PM
I enjoy bank holidays but feel no compulsion to worship banking so its just the same for me.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.