Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas ?

keith selmes 17 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 1:40PM

Quote:Come on Keith you know its Christmas Day -- .... Get in the spirit for gods sake ..............
I was about to type an answer, very similar to the comment fraser has just put in.

I certainly do get in the spirit, (I'm partial to Aberlour, but not fussy), I don't mind at all if the day is called Christmas, if it rolls in the nativity, green trees, gift giving, partying, and the winter solstice, carols and all, and then runs into the official calendar new year. It is the culture I grew up with, and appropriate for the time of year. That needn't stop anyone from being aware of the facts history etc. behind it all, and there's no reason why such an awareness should detract from it. In fact I think being aware of the background adds to it.
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 4:16PM
Keith I was just messin with ya Grin Colin:
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
3 Dec 2010 4:40PM
Xmas is fun - lots of food, booze, good spirits, presents - why would an atheist want to miss out on all that???

I used call myself and athiest but I realise that I'm more of a "religious apathetic" really, I just don't care about religion. An athiest is a bit more actively opposed.

I still like Xmas carols - the tunes generally are nice, the words don't really offend me.

Can't wait till Xmas day - make up some bubbly bucks fizz things from cava, cointreau and orange juice at about 11AM, get nice and merry in time for lunch, tell the crap jokes from the crackers... last year we didn't switch the telly on at all, played the BlockBusterd board game all afternoon with 48 bottles of Badger beer for me, my bro and dad.

So much better than watching the telly - going to cut the plugs off them all on Xmas eve Wink
going_digital 10 204 England
3 Dec 2010 5:24PM

Quote:I used call myself and athiest but I realise that I'm more of a "religious apathetic" really, I just don't care about religion. An athiest is a bit more actively opposed.

That is a bit of misconception, an 'atheist' just means lack of belief in God or non-theist as opposed a 'theist' who is a person who believes in a God, just like atypical means non-typical. Probably where you get the idea that an atheist is a bit more actively opposed is that if you ask most people what religion they are they will just say 'none', that makes them an atheist but they don't call themselves that. Probably the most common context where you hear people referred to as an atheist it is probably to categorise people who are outspoken critics of religion like Richard Dawkins because it would sound pretty lame to call themselves non-believers. But actually anyone who takes the position that they don't believe is an atheist where as anyone who is not sure is an agnostic. I would venture to suggest that people who are confident enough to say they don't believe are probably less than the number that would say they think it unlikely but don't rule it out completely. They tend to live their lives as if there is no God, i.e not attending churches etc but are not willing to completely dismiss the idea.
ade_mcfade 17 15.2k 216 England
3 Dec 2010 5:37PM
Fair point

I still like getting pissed with the family on Xmas day despite being an atheist Wink
3 Dec 2010 5:47PM
I'm glad to say I think most people in Britain are not the slightest bit interested in religion and make the most of the time off, one of the things to be grateful for I suppose that we are not forced to believe anything like it used to be or still is in some countries.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2010 7:00PM
Just a thought that struck "An Atheist isn't just for Christmas - you can be one all year round" Grin
Just Jas 19 26.3k 1 England
4 Dec 2010 1:10PM
Silly s*d LOL!!!
ketch 13 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
4 Dec 2010 8:49PM

Quote:Just a thought that struck "An Atheist isn't just for Christmas - you can be one all year round"

Ummm perhaps you are right but if you are then also perhaps:

'A christian isn't just for Christmas it's till death' ...

As a confirmed atheist (yes I know - that has to be an oxymoron?) I love Christmas - hell |(ooops) I even go to church to listen to the carols - love it, I send cards and give presents and all the time I am aware that there is no god and it still feels good. Its a fantastic excuse to go down the pub and have a few beers, crack open special bottles of wine and to go out and spend money you don't have to give things to your nearest and dearest. It is also a time to reflect and to take stock (yes even atheists like to do this!).

Surely Christmas (I don't think it should be with a capital 'C' BTW) is a time for everybody to have fun and quite simply to celebrate being alive. Why get stuck up on the details!!!

Cheers
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
4 Dec 2010 9:13PM
Spot on Ketch! Smile
Billlee 14 5.5k England
4 Dec 2010 9:34PM
['A christian isn't just for Christmas it's till death' ...]

Total misconception ! A Christian isn't just for Christmas it is for life eternal .....

BTW any of you guys object to Christians celebrating Christmas as the Birthday of Jesus ?
4 Dec 2010 9:43PM
Most of us guys don't object to anybody celebrating anything as long as it doesn't bother us.
4 Dec 2010 10:12PM
Billee, this is the advantage of living in a democracy, you are welcome to celebrate whatever you like. So long as you are happy for other people to celebrate Bodhi Day, Ashura, Yule and a variety of other festivals during December then that is fine. What I find most amusing about religious people is that they are non-believers as well, A Christian doesn't believe in Allah or Zeus or any one of hundreds of religious figures, an atheist simply goes one more. Religious people seem to think that you have to choose one of the religions, it has never occurred to them that you can choose the option 'None of the above".

If you wan't to believe in Jesus, The Loch Ness Monster, Zeus, UFO's or anything that can not be proved that is just unfortunate, but I'm not bothered what you think as long as you keep it to yourself. I am not willing to live my life according to what the Bible says, I think treating women as second class citizens or condemning people for their sexual orientation are gross injustices. If you feel these things are ok for YOU, that is fine, you are welcome to those beliefs, where I have a problem with it is when religious try and impose their belief system on the rest of us.

So you have a great Christmas celebrating what you believe while the rest of us religious or not will enjoy Christmas our own way, you leave me to my own devices and I'll do the same for you.
4 Dec 2010 10:22PM

Quote:So you have a great Christmas celebrating what you believe while the rest of us religious or not will enjoy Christmas our own way, you leave me to my own devices and I'll do the same for you

I'll drink to that! Smile
ketch 13 770 50 Turks And Caicos Islands
4 Dec 2010 10:50PM

Quote:Total misconception ! A Christian isn't just for Christmas it is for life eternal .....

@ Billlee - excellent point and as an atheist I bow to your greater knowledge of your (strange and peculiar) faith.

Tell me though, is the only way for me to suffer a life eternal by subscribing to 'life eternal.com' or will I get it anyway just because I am here?

At the moment I subscribe to 'when you're dead you're dead.co.uk' and it suits all my needs.

Thank you for correcting me however - greatly appreciated.

PS: I certainly think it a brilliant idea that you guys celebrate the birthday of Jesus - why should that be a problem? For goodness sake we must all dance to our own distant tune whatever that tune may be.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.