50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Why do atheists celebrate Christmas ?

redsnappa 18 2.8k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2010 11:45PM
Christmas has become far more important than a festival celebrated by a few religious folk it has become a tradition
going_digital 10 204 England
5 Dec 2010 12:14AM

Quote:Total misconception ! A Christian isn't just for Christmas it is for life eternal .....

Interesting you should raise that point because that was the final nail in the coffin for Christianity for me.

According to Christian belief only those who hear the Gospel and believe receive the gift of eternal life, anyone who hears the Gospel and rejects it is condemned to the burning fires of hell. There is no way that if I was a Christian that I could sit in heaven knowing the God that saved me also allowed millions of people to suffer hell just because they made the wrong choice. Out of principle I would rather go to hell if it exists than sit smugly in heaven because I made the right choice. A completely abhorrent concept to punish someone for their beliefs.

Imagine for one moment you were born and lived in a country where the state religion was Islam, now some Christian evangelist gives you a Bible and explains the Gospel to you, you understand it but reject it because your Imam gives you very good reasons explaining what is wrong with Christianity and why Islam is the one true faith. Having been brought up by a faithful Islamic family and holding the Imam in high regard you trust the wisdom of your family and the clerics. According to the doctrine of Christianity Just because you trusted the advice of people who you trust the most and rejected the Christian faith you will now be punished for all eternity, not exactly something I would consider kind or just. Can you honestly say you would not have a problem with this, that you are happy to go to heaven while millions of others who have made the so called wrong choice in life are punished for it? Seems our human sense of justice is greater than that of this so called God.
Jamiegf 14 1.2k Scotland
5 Dec 2010 12:29AM
Billee, this is the advantage of living in a democracy, you are welcome to celebrate whatever you like. So long as you are happy for other people to celebrate Bodhi Day, Ashura, Yule and a variety of other festivals during December then that is fine. What I find most amusing about religious people is that they are non-believers as well, A Christian doesn't believe in Allah or Zeus or any one of hundreds of religious figures, an atheist simply goes one more. Religious people seem to think that you have to choose one of the religions, it has never occurred to them that you can choose the option 'None of the above".

If you wan't to believe in Jesus, The Loch Ness Monster, Zeus, UFO's or anything that can not be proved that is just unfortunate, but I'm not bothered what you think as long as you keep it to yourself. I am not willing to live my life according to what the Bible says, I think treating women as second class citizens or condemning people for their sexual orientation are gross injustices. If you feel these things are ok for YOU, that is fine, you are welcome to those beliefs, where I have a problem with it is when religious try and impose their belief system on the rest of us.

So you have a great Christmas celebrating what you believe while the rest of us religious or not will enjoy Christmas our own way, you leave me to my own devices and I'll do the same for you.

Couldn't agree More
Take Care And Merry Xmas To AllSmile
Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
5 Dec 2010 1:53AM

Quote:
Religious people seem to think that you have to choose one of the religions, it has never occurred to them that you can choose the option 'None of the above".

Nice one. incongruity..it's just part of the feeling of the time of warmth that it is..

There's a common misconception that atheists believe in nothing when really it's often the opposite. I often used to describe it as doing a tailor-made rather than a package deal.

Quote:we are not forced to believe anything like it used to be or still is in some countries.

it is impossible to be forced to believe something...though you can be coerced into it (especially if started at a very young age...)

I love the sound of carols coming near to Christmas, and don't feel any conflict in that. It's just part of the feeling of the warm and cosy season that it is. If they were sung in Serbo-Croat, I'd get the same feeling.

Late ramble over...
Daffy1 13 399 Ireland
5 Dec 2010 1:03PM
We need some kind of party in mid winter to keep us going until spring. It is to help our psychological well being, a kind of "germination" process. The religious bit go added on a few thousand years ago. The "priests" noticed this so brought out the songs and dances and a few gods for good luck. I am a through and through Atheist but I love Christmas , the lovely music food etc etc. It all helps in "germination". "When winter comes can spring be far behind". Damian
RogBrown 14 3.1k 10 England
5 Dec 2010 1:08PM

Quote:Theism - belief in one or more gods. Atheism belief in none. Agnostics the rest (including undecided)

Alzheimers - can't remember which one. Smile
wasper 15 533 1 Ireland
6 Dec 2010 12:35AM
Why not its a paid holiday so who cares.
pablo69 13 201 6 England
6 Dec 2010 12:41PM
The FSM is the one true religion, his noddly appendage's can touch as all, and as for celebrating the birth of another of Jesus, then he his all for it, presents and food with alcohol is always a good thing what ever time of year, but this special time we can over indulge in all of it.

Long live the FSM

(google FSM and it should be top)
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
6 Dec 2010 12:45PM
I always considered myself to fall under the term 'atheist' or at least what Christians define as an atheist but then I realised I wasn't...

....because I Believe in Father Christmas.
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
6 Dec 2010 1:13PM
Nobody's an atheist really - all so-called atheists are agnostics, if you dig down a bit. Wink

Anyway, Father Christmas is real - you can even send letters to him. So surely no need for 'belief' as such? Smile
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
6 Dec 2010 1:13PM
I too believe in Free School Meals for the less well off.

Thanks Pablo.Tongue
6 Dec 2010 1:22PM

Quote:all so-called atheists are agnostics, if you dig down a bit.

Spoken by a Christian.
Wink
joolsb 16 27.1k 38 Switzerland
6 Dec 2010 1:39PM

Quote:all so-called atheists are agnostics, if you dig down a bit.

Have you tried telling Richard Dawkins that?
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
6 Dec 2010 1:57PM

Quote:Have you tried telling Richard Dawkins that?

Yes, but he refused to believe I exist! sad-dark.jpg

biggrin-dark.jpg
6 Dec 2010 1:59PM
There was a time when he wasn't alone on that score
Wink

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.