The Totally Tamron Website Is Back! Visit Today For All Things Tamron

Why is the media so nasty towards Harry and Meghan? Do we really need the Monarchy?

DaveRyder Plus
5 3.7k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2020 6:44PM
I'm a Royalist a heart - I think the Queen has navigated a course throughout her reign that has been dignified and engendered respect.
Never courted press or unwarranted publicity. Never seen a selfie on Insta from her Smile

I think Dennis Skinner nailed it when he said (relevant to the press) they can't have it both ways.

If you want to be on the cover of Vogue or Good Housekeeping then don't complain once you've whipped up the interest if people want to look at times not wholly suitable to you.

The press only print what sells and people read.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 16 41.4k 270 England
11 Jan 2020 11:42PM
I think Prince Charles will be a very different sort of monarch. Given his track record as Prince of Wales, he may well want to intervene in public affairs and may not hold himself away from controversy.
hobbo Plus
8 1.4k 3 England
12 Jan 2020 4:03AM
All groups from whichever direction print/publish/spout, what THEY think others should read, listen to or watch....
We all have the capacity to think and act for ourselves and for the good of others, but, not if brainwashed first..... absorb all of it, then use your own common sense and sense of justice to act accordingly, within decent boundaries.
Groups and organisations are fluid, they all change spots according to those pulling the strings, or with the most resources.....donít be a sheep, running in a flock....Be a bloody-minded individual who does his best to see through all the smoke-screens and guff.
Hobbo
altitude50 15 16.9k United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 10:18AM
Some people do not seem to appreciate how privileged and fortunate they are.
mrswoolybill Plus
13 1.7k 2119 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 11:54AM
Why are the media so nasty towards Harry and Meghan? Dare I say that it's because they know what sells? It's easy to blame press proprietors and editors, social media, but papers print what their readership wants to consume, people post online what their followers will like and retweet or whatever.

Out of morbid curiosity I keep an eye on the tabloids' websites and their comment forums. The sheer volume of splatter-gun hatred, meanness of spirit, barely concealed racism and contempt for the young is terrifying - not just directed at M & H but at numerous targets.

Yes, we have a duty to seek information and understanding, but a lot of the population are simply too intellectually lazy. They want their prejudices confirmed, they don't want to be made to think. So it's a self-perpetuating situation.

I have no particular interest in or concern for the royal family. Their attempts at modernisation simply make them seem more anachronistic. But M & H remind me in a way of something that I saw a lot when I was working - younger siblings (plus their spouses), expected to spend their entire lives working for the family business without any prospect of ever inheriting it. They have shown themselves capable of holding down 'proper' jobs on their own abilities, which distinguishes them from a lot of the clan, and also of constructive support for good causes rather than just lending their faces and names. Good luck to them if they want to break free.

12 Jan 2020 12:15PM
I agree with your to a certain extent Moira, in particular
Quote:Yes, we have a duty to seek information and understanding, but a lot of the population are simply too intellectually lazy. They want their prejudices confirmed, they don't want to be made to think. So it's a self-perpetuating situation.
but social media is playing a huge part in confirmatory bias.

Take the Australian bush fires; our own Foreign office minister, Heather Wheeler repeats (false) claims she picked up on social media that the fires were caused by arsonists. Instead of checking facts she just repeated a false trend perpetuated by bots and sock pockets - but so did some prominent social media users and news outlets. Damage done, bias confirmed, no fact checks required and so it goes on.

We need a media that does it fact checking before it 'prints', there is good journalism out there but its not helped by social media and those who use it to further their own ends. It can cost as little as £150 to hire a bot farm to get something trending, and together with surveillance capitalism and no regulation of things like Facebook we are in very worrying times.
gcarth Plus
15 3.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 12:44PM

Quote:Yes, we have a duty to seek information and understanding, but a lot of the population are simply too intellectually lazy. They want their prejudices confirmed, they don't want to be made to think. So it's a self-perpetuating situation.
I think there's a lot of truth in that: Newspapers have to make money and so they feel they have to satisfy demand: But then of course the media also creates demand like all advertisers, and so exacerbates the problem.
The mainstream media is largely owned by a small number of companies and their owners are likely to have a Tory political agenda.
Apart from the owners and political leanings of their journalists, newspapers also have to keep their advertisers happy too.These advertisers can influence a medium's politicial stance.

So I agree that the social media has created lots of fake news but the mainstream media seems to ride on the back of it while hypocritically being guilty of the same thing.Sad
hobbo Plus
8 1.4k 3 England
12 Jan 2020 2:48PM
I think that you are all in a TIZZY about nothing here..............onwards and upwards folks, you could be in N Korea..... or Zimbabwe, what do the newspapers tell readers there ?

cantona43 Plus
14 928 4 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 6:31PM
I don't blame the media I blame the so called victims Megan and Harry for inviting it. Megan likes nothing better than to have her face plastered on every front page worldwide, fame and greed is her game. The Queen does not deserve this embarrassment, and should have her out she has done nothing but embarrass our Royal Family.
gcarth Plus
15 3.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 6:44PM

Quote:I don't blame the media I blame the so called victims Megan and Harry for inviting it. Megan likes nothing better than to have her face plastered on every front page worldwide, fame and greed is her game. The Queen does not deserve this embarrassment, and should have her out she has done nothing but embarrass our Royal Family.
Well, it might have looked better if William had left the Royal Family first before Meghan became his partner. However, I think Prince Andrew is the only person who has really well and truly embarrassed the Royal Family.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 8:36PM
Whilst I have no interest whatever in the monarchy or Harry & Megan I loathe what is happening to our media and the way in which the anonymity provided by the web is allowing the worst behaviour in so many who communicate there.

What is happening now was totally predictable, they build people to "celebrity" status just so they can run a campaign of innuendo and bile to destroy them, all under the cover of "public interest" but in fact, to boost their readership / profits

As for the Web, its become a place where those capable of achieving nothing worthwhile themselves are able to boost their feelings of worth and self-importance by vomiting bile on all and sundry.

brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 8:38PM

Quote:Well, it might have looked better if William had left the Royal Family first before Meghan became his partner.

there is the basis of tomorrow's headline in "The Daily Garbage" - Harry is leaving because William has taken Megan as his partner! Grin
dcash29 14 2.4k England
12 Jan 2020 9:39PM
This is the problem with people in this country these days. Jealous of someone with either more money or what appears to be a better life than their own.
In my opinion Gcarth you seem to like drumming up controversy on this site, just like the low life media.

gcarth Plus
15 3.4k 1 United Kingdom
12 Jan 2020 10:24PM

Quote:here is the basis of tomorrow's headline in "The Daily Garbage" - Harry is leaving because William has taken Megan as his partner!
Whoops!Smile I must be getting old: Of course I meant to say: "Well, it might have looked better if Harry had left the Royal Family first before Meghan became his partner." I blame my heavy cold at the moment - its addled my brain!Wink

Quote:In my opinion Gcarth you seem to like drumming up controversy on this site, just like the low life media.

Well, I think most people here seem to be in broad agreement on this topic.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and attribute your low opinion of me to the fact that I erroneously mentioned William instead of Harry.SadSmile

Quote:This is the problem with people in this country these days. Jealous of someone with either more money or what appears to be a better life than their own.

I disagree. I think society as a whole is remarkably comfortable with the fact that some individuals are many times richer than most. I certainly don't envy the rich - especially the Royals. I think they are imprisoned by their privileged birthright - they're not allowed to be real people.
Then of course there are those on zero hours or going to food banks etc.: I certainly wouldn't blame them for wanting a better life. Would you?
Chris_L 6 5.4k United Kingdom
13 Jan 2020 1:15AM
I would normally blame members of the public who clearly lap this stuff up, they are creating a demand for it.

Whenever the Daily Mail or Daily Express had Princess Diana on the front page they would see sales increase by as much as 100k copies. Even well after her death.

That kind of coverage must have been at the expense of other stories. Less so now as online the pages are virtually unlimited.

The Mail and it's rivals have been in a race to the bottom and seem to publish anything so long as it gets them clicks.

What's going on with this couple though?. They seem to be getting way more negative attention than William and Kate.

I normally ignore all of that celebrity and royal stuff - is there some other agenda that I am not aware of? Is there some snobbery or racism driving it all, is it coming from the establishment, rival royals, press barons or the public? Is the media trying to take them down a peg or two because they don't play ball?

I caught a bit of the ITV thing tonight, leaks from "other palaces" It could actually interest me if it might be going a bit Tudor.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.