Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Why no clicks or views???????

digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
2 Feb 2005 5:16AM
You can certainly fall into the trap of spending too much effort considering the technicalities of getting a shot and not whether the shot would be any good even if you did set it up perfectly. After all, it's possible to take an absolutely perfect shot of a piece of plain white paper but is it art?

Ian
Consulo 17 840 10 Scotland
2 Feb 2005 5:28AM
Interesting question, Ian.

This morning, I've been shooting alot of polaroid images that are of a graphic nature. Mostly been light reflections on walls, light coming through doorways, that kind of thing. I like them, they look like the kind of thing that could adorn CD's and they do have an artisitc quality to them (if I may be so bold Grin ).

However, if I were to upload them, I'm sure a lot of folks would dismiss them as crappy shots, merely sometimes who's just got hold of a polaroid camera and 'point and clicked'. That would fair enough, as it's their perogative to form their own opinion on a photograph.

Anyways, what I've taken a long time to try and say is that ultimately, it's all very subjective. One man's masterpiece is another man's piece of rubbish. I think that what could help people who feel "short changed" critically in the gallery, would be to make a point of writing down what they were trying to achieve in the decription box, when uploading. I always try to do this as I think it actively courts critique.

I hope so, anyways. Smile
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
2 Feb 2005 5:32AM
What about an artist then?

He/She could have a stunning imagination/eye for a picture but if they can't mix colour, control paint flow or have no idea of the mediums available to them, i.e. the techie stuff, then they ain't going to paint a masterpiece are they?

Comparable to knowing the technical side of photography no?
2 Feb 2005 5:37AM
Ah yes, of course if you intend to paint then of course, but my comment about being an artist was based on commenting. You dont need to be a painter to be able to comment on a painting. I think I've just confused myself :-(
2 Feb 2005 5:37AM
Not so sure Ex. Mixing colours is a subjective skill (you need an eye for colour to be an artist and to mix the colours you want). Controlling paint flow is in the touch and again can be argued to be pretty subjective.

Maybe the technical side of painting is how to set up your easel without trapping your fingers and how to wash your brushes without dissolving the bristles. :0)

My wife studied watercolours and painting on silk for a while and there are things in those which are definitely technical. For example, there are ways of treating the canvas or cloth, prior to applying the paints, which control the way in which the paint is taken up. In the end she gace up painting, because although she knew the technical side she found she could only copy, not paint from her own viewpoint.

Ian
bpa 17 1.2k
2 Feb 2005 5:38AM
The best natural portrait I have seen was taken by my cousin, she used a fixed focus automatic camera and new only how to wind it on, press the shutter, and how to send the film off to snappy snaps! Still puts me to shame with what I try to create.

Stephen
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
2 Feb 2005 5:42AM

Quote: want a career in photography, you have to be technically competent.

Sure, but even MORE importantly you need to be a good business person, be prepared to live the lifestyle and also prepared to do a heck of a lot of artistically unrewarding stuff: the example of 36 pics of a milk bottle has sometimes been used!!

The actual photography is only a part of it.
goatster 17 399
2 Feb 2005 5:42AM
Hi Ian,

'is it art'... I had a 'discussion' with our design team resently about this kind of thing. Apparently if an 'artist' produces it then yes it is art. I sugested that the light switching on and off in an empty room that won a turner award, was in fact simply that and that no matter how much someone tells me that a statue made from horse manure is 'art' it still looks like a pile of poo to me. But apparently I am a philistine in such matters not worthy of an opinion.

Art of any description should invoke a reaction and apparently the reaction being 'Whats this rubbish?' is still a reaction so it counts.

T
ljesmith 17 1.1k United Kingdom
2 Feb 2005 5:54AM
Going back to letting the technicalities get in the way of taking a photograph, the idea is to know the technical side enough not to have to think about it. And being a professional photographer does not always mean having a business, I am employed as a photographer so I don't have to worry about that side of it. Another point is that if you want to work in photography you don't always have to be the one taking the picture, there are a lot of avenues in photography that are purely technical. I myself started as a camera technician, by being able to take pictures I managed to get noticed as someone who could take pictures as well.
There's always a side or back door into photography, if you only try the front door you might never make it.
I now need a rest ;]
2 Feb 2005 6:01AM

Quote:Going back to letting the technicalities get in the way of taking a photograph, the idea is to know the technical side enough not to have to think about it.

Yet again Luke I agree, but you are talking about the complete photographer and I am talking about the path to becoming one.

Ian
ljesmith 17 1.1k United Kingdom
2 Feb 2005 6:33AM
Fair point Ian.
ID13766 17 51
2 Feb 2005 6:52AM
This subject again eh ?

I think a part of the problem with this site is that everybody is a photographer and feels compelled to comment as a photographer rather than just a person looking at a photograph. People also feel a little bit inadequate if they're not the most technically able photographer and are thinking of adding to a list of comments from people who have obviously commented on technical aspects.

The bottom line is that if you feel like saying something about a photo, then say it, good, bad or indifferent, it's your opinion so be honest and don't be afraid, it's worth as much as anybody else's.

That said, it's also useful if you say not only WHETHER you like/dislike a picture, but WHY you have that opinion, again good or bad. If people's feelings are hurt by your comments, then they're in the wrong place !. I got into a bit of an argument about this a while ago in another forum thread and as a result I decided that I had better places to get my critique than EPZ, so I removed my portfolio. I still look around though, and I occasionally comment when something moves me enough.

Ian
bigtim 16 155
2 Feb 2005 8:08AM

Quote:Bigtim, you ask for critique, but then limit the people who are qualified to critique, I don't class myself as an experienced photographer and I think my portfolio reflects that, so as you request I will not critique any of your work.

Stephen - a good point and well made. I accept critique from all comers too. I chose my words VERY badly. My own critique is honest and often detailed, but I don't pretend to offer it as an expert.

The point I as trying to make - very badly - was that I am hungry for ANY critique. Sorry

Tim
Carabosse 18 41.6k 270 England
2 Feb 2005 8:13AM
The best thing to do if you are offended by a comment on a photo is to use the "Report Abuse" link so that one of the EPZ team can take a look - and take any action necessary.

Don't get into an argument with the poster on the photo itself.
raziel_uk 17 4.9k
2 Feb 2005 8:17AM
Carrying on from CB, you can also do what I do and ignore them and let other members reply to the person. See my Repaired Photo and how others replied to Ben C's comments.

I don't think he's been on here since.

Ashley

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.