50% Off Portrait Pro + An Extra 15% For EPZ Members With Code: EPZ421

Why no EC?

User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2004 9:01AM
Hi all

Not trying to open the debate about Pete's taste etc but you know how it is when you see an image in the gallery and it hasn't got an EC and you ask yourself why? because you know full well that if it was you making the choice, you would have awarded one.

Anyway - here is one that I think deserves an EC or in the absence of Pete, perhaps an AEC (Will?)

EC Contender

Barrie
Miles Herbert 18 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2004 9:09AM
I think the E in EC is away at the moment judging by the lack of any EC's for a few days...

or

have all the images posted been unworthy of the honour. Smile
Origami_Owl 17 786
13 Feb 2004 9:16AM
If we're naming outstanding pics then Pat's pic should be noted.
Paul G
13 Feb 2004 9:21AM
Yes Paul - I agree - another one that has escaped my attention

I think Pete might be a little busy when he returns.

I might be the only one who doesn't know this but is there any connection with Pete's absence and the fact that PMA 2004 is on in Las Vegas?

If so.. lucky beggar!

Barrie
agoreira 17 6.0k Wales
13 Feb 2004 9:22AM
"Not trying to open the debate about Pete's taste etc"
I think you will though! Wink It's Pete's personal choice, I guess. I think equally, you could ask yourself, why a certain image has been chosen, because you know that if you had been making the choice, it would never have got one. The majority there are excellent, but there's always a couple that, in my or your opinion possibly, should not be there. And similarly, others that should be, are ignored. Pete is never going to select to the complete approval of everyone, bit of a poisoned chalice really. The photo you mention is certainly better than quite a few that have been chosen, (in our opinion)but there also have been many shots that have "scored" well in excess of twenty "hearts" and similarly gone unrewarded. I suspect you'll get a few more posts on this thread. Wink
Frank
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
13 Feb 2004 12:29PM
Pete, after a hint from me, removed the phrase "best of ePhotozine" in the header text of the EC page a few months ago.

It now reads:

The photos displayed here have been hand-picked by Peter Bargh, ePHOTOzine's editor and represent his personal favourites from work that has been submitted to the Reader Gallery.

Note the words 'personal favourites'.

A different editor might make completely different choices.
13 Feb 2004 12:34PM
Hi all

I am beginning to wish I hadn't bothered wasting my time typing the phrase "Not trying to open the debate about Pete's taste etc" as it seems to have been ignored Smile

All I am trying to do is raise the profile of some photographs that I feel should have got an EC and would have if I had been choosing them (particularly as Pete is not around to hand out ECs at the moment)

Perhaps we should hand out the wooden spoon award as well as EC's Smile Smile

Barrie Smile
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
13 Feb 2004 12:40PM
Wooden spoon, eh Barrie.... so when are you going to upload some of your pics! (joke)!! :o)

I personally would not give a 'click' to the pic you have mentioned in your initial post. So it just goes to show tastes differ.
durlstonp 18 638 1 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2004 5:34PM
"...but there's always a couple that if you had been making the choice, it would never have got one."

Oi! Frank! A couple is exactly the number I've got. Are you implying that... Actually, no; I don't want to know!

[FX: Sticks fingers in own ears!]

La-la-la-la!

DP
a11sus 17 568 Northern Ireland
13 Feb 2004 6:33PM
Thanks for pointing Gordon's photo out to me - it is one I had missed and absolutely love. His whole site is brill and I am now in love with it!

I really do think there is value in pointing out photos afer a while - I watch as much as I can but so miss some crackers.
SUSAN
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
13 Feb 2004 6:48PM
I'm new to the real serious photography stuff, and friends keep saying, either "well, there's nothing wrong with that" - when I see quite clearly that there is" or "well, it's all subjective, there isn't a right and a wrong way", but it seems there ar some basic rules.
But, presumably, just as people agree that there are some great artists and some mediocre artists, there must be great photographers and mediocre photographers.
I can't say I have grasped all the reasons why - there are many great artists who do absolutely nothing for me, at all.
But there is an amount of agreement - like on this site - about some images.
I have been trying to ask myself what makes a "good picture" - now that is very hard.
Any thoughts on this welcome - it interests me.
Boyd 17 11.2k 11 Wales
13 Feb 2004 7:01PM
I'd say a good picture is one that can stir some kind of emotion; and as we all have different feelings, pictures can affect everyone a little differently.
Well that's the way I see things anyway.

Boyd.
brian1208 17 11.8k 12 United Kingdom
13 Feb 2004 7:15PM
as 1971boyd said, the emotional content must be an important element of a "good" picture.

In addition I think the technical aspects must also play a part together with context. A shot of a current event which captures the spirit of the moment can have real appeal, whereas even a few days later it is potentially boring.

Ultimately I guess it comes down to the viewer: what is their cultural experience, standard of beauty and excellence etc.

Then there is novelty (the sort of shot that makes one go "wow - I never thought of that").

One thing I know, thank the lord, is that in any group of 10 ephotoziners you will probably get 15+ views on this subject.

Wouldn't it be awful if we all liked the same shots Smile

Brian
KatieR 17 6.2k 6
13 Feb 2004 7:22PM
There's also the reason behind taking it - journalistic photos can be exciting, or dull, depending not only on their content, but their context - if you don't know why & where they were taken, it is spoilt.
Still lifes and close ups may be taken as part of a hobby, to try out a lens, for technical illustrations - the list goes on.
Sometimes, a photo which is perfect for one of these, would be called poor for another.
So, thank goodness there are over 6 billion of us - somebody, somewhere is going to like it!
Mari 17 1.8k United Kingdom
13 Feb 2004 9:04PM
Barrie - how can you say that "not trying to open the debate about Petes tastes but" and then critisise his EC choices (or lack of them) in the same paragraph?

Pete has his own tastes doesn't he? The photos that appeal to many on the site may not appeal in the same way to Pete. We've had this debate so many times. Its Pete's personal choice and not ours. A photo may have 26+ blue hearts on it but if it doesn't appeal to the 27th person (which may be Pete) then it isn't going to get an EC is it?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.