Why the Canon vs Nikon thing?

walliswizard 12 403
11 Jan 2007 8:12PM
It's fairly obvious to me, a relative newcomer, that there is quite strong feelings for both Nikon and Canon. More often than not, it appears Nikon gets a bashing from Canon fans, not the other way round (but that might just be my perspective).

My own choice was Nikon primarily due to price, but also a lot to do with my Dad once owning one and I remember thinking I'd get one like that "when I grow up".

Did you have any reason why you chose one brand over the other? Why? What do you think is so bad about the other brand if anything?

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

CathyT 13 7.3k 18 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2007 8:14PM
I just wouldn't waste my money buying a Canon...
Boyd 16 11.2k 11 Wales
11 Jan 2007 8:17PM

Quote:What do you think is so bad about the other brand if anything?

Nothing. For the most part it's just good-natured badinage.

Quote:I just wouldn't waste my money buying a Canon...

The quality would be wasted on some.
;o)
Westers 15 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso

Quote:I just wouldn't waste my money buying a Canon...

Nah, you'd waste hubbies instead.

;o)
:op
csurry 17 9.2k 92
Life's too short to worry about brands, just get out there and take some photos

Smile
Westers 15 3.9k 1 Burkina Faso
11 Jan 2007 8:19PM

Quote:For the most part it's just good-natured badinage.

I could think of easier things to dress a wound with.

:op
keith selmes 16 7.4k 1 United Kingdom
11 Jan 2007 8:22PM
Rolleiflex rocks. Its hard to beat a TLR.
But I've decided now, what I really want is a Shen Hao, in walnut.
These Canon/Nikon things are OK, but they're really just kids toys. Real Men would not be satisfied.
11 Jan 2007 8:22PM
Typical man, thinks he needs a bandinage when all thats necessary is a plaster...
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
11 Jan 2007 8:23PM

Quote:I could think of easier things to dress a wound with.

Yeah some people use sodium chloride. 8-] hehehehe

yeah the Canon / Nikon thing is just people wearing their brands at each other 8-]
JohnHorne 14 1.0k
11 Jan 2007 8:24PM
Two or three decades ago Nikon were the undisputed leaders. Well, maybe Olympus tried to dispute it. Then Canon decided to aim for number one spot. So when I was in the market for a new camera around 7 years ago there was a clear sense that Canon were more innovative than Nikon. For example, they were ahead of Nikon with the introduction of image stabilised lenses. They also had in their range Tilt and Shift lenses - I believe the only 35mm camera manufacturer to offer them. And I quite liked the idea of having one. So when I bought a new camera Canon seemed the only choice for me. I never did acquire a T/S lens though.

When the time came to switch to digital I was keen to preserve as much as possible of my investment in accessories so, again, Canon was the obvious choice. And I feel that my original thoughts were justified as they are still the only manufacturer offering full-frame 35mm digital cameras - I bought the 5D. If I had bought a Nikon 7 years ago I would still be waiting for a full-frame camera.

John
spaceman 15 5.3k 3 Wales
11 Jan 2007 8:24PM
I've managed to avoid both brands for 19yrs. Instead I've used Praktica, Minolta, Seagull, Bronica and an Olympus compact.
csurry 17 9.2k 92
11 Jan 2007 8:29PM

Quote:I believe the only 35mm camera manufacturer to offer them

That'll be because Nikon call them Perspective Control (PC)!

But they are the same thing.

See them Canon users always think they have something better without checking the facts

Tongue
11 Jan 2007 8:30PM
Your only aloud to use a Nikon if you have a beard and sandals apparently.....

I've managed to cultivate a beard over the last year but I'm not sure if sandals with a heel are exceptable....
Krakman 13 3.6k Scotland
11 Jan 2007 8:31PM

Quote:They also had in their range Tilt and Shift lenses - I believe the only 35mm camera manufacturer to offer them.

Nikon have at least one perspective control lens - not sure how it's range of movements compare with the Canon.

Edit: bugger, csurry got there first
JohnHorne 14 1.0k
11 Jan 2007 8:32PM

Quote:Nikon call them Perspective Control (PC)!

The Canon lenses offer tilt and shift. As I understand it the Nikon PC lens only offers shift.
Typical journalist, I mean Nikon user ...

Wink

Nikon's PC lenses are also available only in focal lengths around 28mm or 35mm or thereabouts, whereas Canon offer one at 90mm. It was the 90mm with tilt facility that I was keen to have.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.